Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dew101

does anyone know the season of bloom? Kayla and Cricket

daleyc
15 years ago

Hi folks

Has anyone had experience with Kayla and Cricket? What is the bloom season(s)? Also, have you had experience with John's Miniature Roses?

Thanks so much!

Dale

Comments (13)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

I haven't grown either rose. Here in central NJ, my minis start blooming in May and stop in late September/early October. REbloom time is usually pretty fast, 3 - 4 weeks.

John's Miniature Roses is a very good vendor.

• daleyc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks diane nj

Do you regularly grow minis? Are they easy (or hard) to maintain i.e disease? pruning? feeding?

dale

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

Yes.

Depends on the mini. Some are more disease resistant than others. I spray a fungicide regularly. If you do a search for "disease resistant" from the main Miniature Roses page, you'll find some threads about resistant minis.

Pruning is easy, hedge clippers work pretty well. I fertilize my minis the same way I fertilize my large roses, primarily Espoma Holly-tone (Rose-tone, Plant-tone or Flower-tone work just as well), with some added water-soluble fertilizer (whatever I have on hand).

• daleyc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi diane nj

Thanks!

When do you generally prune the minis? How far back do you generally prune them? What about Polyanthas. Do you know if they are treated the same way?

Dale

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

I prune mine in the late winter, when the forsythia is in bloom, same as the rest of my roses.

Depends on the mini, the larger ones get cut back by half, then smaller ones I just remove anything that might be dead, or just some shaping.

Polys, I have two, White Pet and Baby Faurax (I have Excellenz von Schubert too, but that is an entirely other kind of beastie). I usually cut White Pet back by half. I give Baby a haircut and trim out anything dead. Baby Faurax I usually have to trim back during the season.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I've purchased miniature roses from Heirloom Roses, the sister company to John's Miniature Roses, and I'm thrilled with every single one! I've also received larger roses from Heirloom, Shrub Roses and several Climbers, and they're all growing and blooming wonderfully! The roses came to me very healthy, and packed well. I highly recommend both companies!

I planted all the minis directly into my gardens, and they've been happily growing and blooming all summer, putting forth flush after flush of beautiful blooms! I love the fact that Heirloom and John's roses are all own-root, and I adore the selection of hardy roses! I can finally grow lovely roses that will come back year after year!

Our winters are pretty frigid, and most grafted roses die or barely survive... but own-root means so much to someone wanting to grow roses in northern climes!

I love my minis, and I'm afraid it's turning into another plant addiction, of which I already have several!

• daleyc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi jodik

When did you plant your minis? I'd love to plant them this year but my current garden is in full swing and i'd hate to disrupt it. Have you planted in the spring?

Thanks and Take Care!

Dale

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I planted in the spring, but I believe you could plant up to late summer... I think it's important to plant anything early so it can establish a good root system before winter, but there are many perennials and shrubs that are regularly planted in fall.

Personally, I would most likely wait and order for spring planting.

• daleyc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yeah, i agree. i will plant in the spring.

The pics of the minis are so pretty. How do you work with them? Do you plant several together in order to get a 'look' or is their appearance strong enough to hold their own?

Thanks!

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I use mine in a couple of ways... I think they definitely stand alone, and I give decent space between them... most minis I have are used as border edging in a bulb/perennial garden... but several others are in a small border of their own, along with a few regular sized climbers, near a fence.

If I want a larger, bushier look, I use regular shrub roses with smaller blooms. I don't think I'd plant minis together as a group... there are many that will actually get quite large or tall... I have a no-name red mini that looks like a medium sized shrub, only it's covered with little red roses! I'd say it's about 2 1/2 to 3 feet tall, and almost as wide. I paid a whole dollar and fifty cents for it at Lowe's three years ago!

Minis are useful in many garden situations... ground cover, edging, planted among shorter perennials... hanging baskets, large patio pots... I just love them!

• daleyc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey jodik

Is there a rule of thumb as to how wide they get? Do they generally get as wide as they do tall?

Thanks!

Dale

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Dale, I do believe that different types of minis have different growth habits... the best way to find out which ones will be the size you prefer is to read the information for each mini...

Here's the link to Heirloom Roses, below... check out their miniature rose selections... each rose has a description, complete with about how big they get, whether they have scent, etc... John's Miniature Roses is the sister company, and they have lovely roses with good descriptions, too, if I'm not mistaken. Just copy and paste the link into your browser, and check it out!

http://www.johnsminiatureroses.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Heirloom Roses - Miniatures

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    15 years ago

Hi, I am a little late to this post but I have Kayla and love her. She is so pretty and this is her second full year and is about 2 ft. tall and about 1&1/2 ft. tall. She has bloomed all summer. I believe I got her at Johns Miniature roses or Moores roses. It was so little when I got it but in two years has grown so nicely and her blooms are real pretty. I planted mine in the fall and they have done well here in NW Ga. Take care, Judy

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County