Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cosimdm

What's a good violet/purple mini?

cosimdm
18 years ago

I have seen a picture of Vi's Violet, and it looks nice. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Comments (15)

• msrose
    18 years ago

Well, I don't know if it's good or not because I don't have it yet but I'm planning to get Saint Mary either this fall or in the spring.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Saint Mary

• msrose
    18 years ago

I forgot to mention that Lavender Crystal is one of my favorites for more of a lavender color.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Lavender Crystal

• tenor_peggy
    18 years ago

I used to have Always a Lady in my old garden. I may try it again. It is more lavendar than purple but it is fragrant.

• the_morden_man
    18 years ago

Sweet Chariot, Sweet Chariot and Sweet Chariot.

Also, Brad Jalbert of Select Roses has a new mini called "The Colour Purple". Here is a pic from his website.

{{gwi:1211604}}

• ginni77
    18 years ago

One that I have that I just love is Sugar Plum.
    Sugar Plum (this is the only photo I have of it and it's blown open...it's much more purple when it's not open all the way.
    {{gwi:1211608}}

Ginni

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugar Plum at HelpMeFind...you can see it's darker color here

• Leemac_z5_Ma
    18 years ago

Dr John Dickman took Mini king at our local society show yesterday! I love the color and the form! ( on my next list!) I have vista and sachet which are nice paler lavender.
    Lee

• msrose
    18 years ago

Ginni,

Where did you get Sugar Plum? HMF doesn't show any nurseries carrying it right now :(

Laurie

• kathy9norcal
    18 years ago

Sweet Chariot is great,

Lavender Delight makes a huge everblooming bush,

Blue Mist is a micro mini,

and again, Lavender Crystal is very pretty and new for me (with unknown pink).

Kathy

• ken_se_fl
    18 years ago

I've been growing Lavender Sweetheart for a LONG time. Wouldn't be without it. Beautiful flower and it smells great.

• cloudia
    18 years ago

A fragrant child of Double Feature? Ooo, I want it!

• peter_rabbit
    18 years ago

Lavender Delight is a good garden variety mini.

• jpw_chi
    18 years ago

Yet another recommendation for Sweet Chariot.

• cathy__7bwa
    18 years ago

I don't know if you can find it any more? but I just love my Fat Tuesday, lots of big purple flowers, was given to me by a friend that was moving out of state a few years back. Also Vista and Violet Mist both have done well too.
    Cathy

• george_mander
    18 years ago

Try my mini 'Rubies'n'Pearls'.
    Select Roses in W.Canada has it and Hortico in E. Canada has just introduced it.

It is very winter hardy and mildew resistant but will get blackspot if not sprayed every 4 to 6 weeks. It produces lots and lots of blooms.

Check out HelpMeFind Roses for R.nP. photos & info and other minis of mine. From HMF you can get to my web-site called "Roses of Excellence" and from there go to Hortico's "Mander roses" (15 varieties) from my "Links Page"

Here is a link that might be useful: Mander roses at HelpMeFind

• mike_in_new_orleans
    18 years ago

I have Winsome and Vista and Scentsational. All are mauve but 3 very different hues. Winsome is deep, almost purple occasionally depending on weather, more often it is a soft magenta. Vista is truly Lavender. Both of these are healthy plants for me, with intermittant spraying. I think Winsome is the most blackspot-resistant mauve rose I have, out of 8 or so. Scentsational is amazingly fragrant, and the two-toned mauve-pink blooms are a pleasing color. The blooms are only semi-double, though, and the bush gets lanky and spreading. I happen to like bushy plants. It also needs more disciplined spraying to keep the Blackspot at bay, but has done well for me when I spray regularly. Another wonderfully fragrant mauve mini was mentioned above--Sweet Chariot. It is more magenta than Winsome is, to my eyes. I don't care for the old-fashioned pompom bloom form. I've seen and smelled it but not grown it myself.

Winsome and Vista I believe are both available from Nor-east Miniature Roses and Bridges. You might check John's Miniature Roses, too; its part of Heirloom Roses in Oregon. I'm typing all this from memory, so please forgive me if you check those websites and find any of these roses not to be there. :)