Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jont1

Some impressive mini'''s

jont1
16 years ago

I would just like to comment on a few of my better mini's.

Leading Lady is turning out to be a stellar smaller clone of my HT favorite Moonstone. The bush is super vigorous and the blooms are to die for. So far it has been healthy and happy and really producing for me. The bush is about 4' tall.

My Dr. John Dickman bush is very vigorous and the foliage healthy as well. It is about 4 1/2' tall and currently has over 20 blooms on it. Alot of people say it is a stingy bloomer but that is not my experience at all. My bush always seems to be in bloom and they last forever whether on the bush or cut for the vase in the house. This is a winner of a rose.

Robin Alonso is putting out the most picture perfectly formed dark red mini-flora blooms you can imagine. The bush is about 3' tall and always has at least a few blooms on it to enjoy.

Autumn Splendor is a real bushy bush. The foliage is a bit small for my taste, but it does stay healthy for me. My only complaint is that the bush is so compact that it cuts into the stem length at times. The blooms are brilliantly colored and formed beautifully. This makes a very attractive garden rose for me.

Sassy Cindy from Dennis Bridges is a very healthy and hardy rose bush and the mini-flora sized blooms are very clear red with lighter reverse that catches your eye.

I had an 8 flower spray bloom all at once on my Heather Sproul mini and it is gorgeous. This shade of pink is breathtaking and the flower form is excellent as well.

Lastly, the brick red This Is The Day is a new one for me. I planted two bushes about 2 months ago and they have been very vigorous growing and blooming. The color is very intriguing and catches your eye immediately upon entering the garden.

Try these and see what you think.

Comments (8)

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

Your Leading Lady is 4' tall!!!? When did you plant it? Mine is still about 4" tall. It's blooming well, but is still a 'lil thang. Thanks for the notes on the other minis you are enjoying. :-)

Cheers,
    Michelle

• mdseagull
    16 years ago

I'm impressed by the growth on your This Is The Day. The flowers are indeed lovely, but mine has remained a twig! Sounds like you have a beautiful collection!

• reneyda
    16 years ago

Hi Jont1,

I am looking to plant some minis in front of the house but don't know much about them... I love your detailed post... can you post pictures?

• gardenfanatic2003
    16 years ago

Hi Jont1,

Thanks for the rundown. It always helps to have personal recommendations. Where do you live? Does it get very hot there?

What color is your Leading Lady when it gets really hot?

Deanna

• jont1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the compliments all. I will try to answer your questions in order here.

MICHELLE I planted my Leading Lady bushes in April after receiving them from Dennis Bridges in band pots. And yes, they are both 4' tall and bloom like crazy with floribunda sized blooms. They are never without blooms as they repeat flower super quickly. I love them.

MDSEAGULL I have two TITD bushes and they have a definite bushy growth habit, with very little uprightness to them. Still, I get decent stems and of course the foliage is beautiful and make an excellent backdrop for the brick colored blooms of which there are aplenty. Each bush is about 2 1/2' tall and about as wide. These are new to me this year, so I can't say yet whether it will eventually put out some nice big basals or will just stay shrubby looking as some do. Either way, this rose is a winner.

RENEYDA I am photo challenged unfortunately and have had no luck posting pictures, but I will try to do it if possible.

GARDENFANATIC I live in St. Joseph, MO so I am probably closer to you than we realize. Where are you from?? My Leading Lady bushes have huge flowers that always open with pink edging on a white bloom that will fade out as the blooms age and if it gets really hot. Upon finishing, they are mostly about pure white. I really like this cultivar alot even if it is a big one!!

John

• rosalita
    16 years ago

John- you are an enabler! I just ordered Leading Lady from NorEaster thanks to your wonderful post here. I also got Starina, Hot Tamale, Caliente, X Rated and Jean Keannelly. I only had 2 minis this year but they were non-stop bloomers and I am totally hooked! One was Green Ice and the other I think is Sweet Chariot (it was a gift so I'm not sure). I hope I picked some great bloomers. I usually have to spray here in Middle TN regardless but I just like to have heavy repeat bloomers.

• jont1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Rosalita!! I like to enable when it comes to recommending a good rose like Leading Lady. My Leading Lady's are really good bloomers in my garden and the foliage/bush itself is a really nice one even without flowers to adorn itself with.
    You will really like it I think.
    John

• peter_rabbit
    16 years ago

Glad to know Robin Alonso is doing well for you John. I like it too.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner