Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minibot

New Parade and some on the way

minibot
18 years ago

Hey, I was on an impulsive spree today, I purchased a Parade rose and then went online and found a great sale where I ended up with a great deal on four more mini roses. Now what? I was really wondering if they need a transition from indoors to full sun or if they can just be put in the sun fully? I guess that's it until the rest arrive in the mail!

minibot

Comments (4)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

No, you want to gradually expose them to sun, they have been grown in a greenhouse. If you have a shady or sheltered area out of direct sun, put them there for a couple of days, then you can expose them to direct sun gradually increasing the time over a week or preferably 10 days. Make sure to keep them watered, and if you see any leaf burning, take them back to the shaded area.

• minibot
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks! I did find this information after digging around on the 'net for a few minutes...duh. It's just that on the websites they keep saying that they love full sun! It didn't make sense to me to just throw it out there to beg for its mercy because you can't even do that to cacti and succulents :-) I'll do a repot and acclimate it to the out of doors after it spends its blooms. I wish I had a yard where I could plant these, as it is I'm stuck with a container garden as I'd hate to have to dig them up after a year or so if I ever moved. Thanks for the advice Ms. Diane!

minibot

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

You're welcome, but you have to tell us what you ordered!!! ;-))

• minibot
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I ordered:

Jilly Jewel
    Ralph Moore
    Scentsational
    Red Scentsational

They were having a fall special so I went a little nutso...I wanted to get fragrant and red and just something interesting I kinda just picked at random (shoulda ordered the micros and perhaps the black rose which drew me in the first place, but I sorta forgot about them when I was getting drawn in by the fragrant and red roses). I hope I'm successful with miniature roses because I've not had luck with them before, but my mom always does alright (she likes to hack at the poor plants just to see what they can take I think!!). Heck, I don't even know if these roses I ordered are really miniature or not! I was just tempted by that darned Parade rose at Home Depot and then started reading about them, and I couldn't resist! I wonder if the roses down the street (they look like a climbing tea rose) are considered miniature? They sure put on a spectacular show! The neighbor has trained the plant to grow up and around our stop sign. I'll try to post pics some day.

Minibot (whose name is funny since I'm in the Miniature Roses forum, but it just meant that I was a young botanist when I was a child ;-))