Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preparing mini roses for winter

Posted by esther_b NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 27, 09 at 4:14

My 3 mini roses (potted grocery store minis that I planted outside) have lost many leaves from black spot. I sprayed them with a fungicide and removed all the spotted leaves. What leaves are left seem healthy, although not abundant. They are flowering. Now it's late September and I would like to know what I should do to prepare these guys for winter. Do they get trimmed back, wrapped, or what? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preparing mini roses for winter

Nothing. They should be hardy for you. No trimming, no wrapping. Since our winters are more wet than freezing cold, any wrapping or mulching could lead to canker next spring. Leave them be, except to make sure that they don't dry out during the season. They don't need as much water, but they don't want to be totally dry.

Oh, BYW, snow is an insulator, so if we get a lot of it, that is not a bad thing.

o
RE: Preparing mini roses for winter

It is optional for minis for winterizing I'm zone 5/b 6 Mass. Yes they are winter hardy when they come from a store I just winterize mine anyways if you opt. to do so this is how.

The weekend befor Thanksgiving you can if you want
Trim it down to 1 foot high into a dome shape then cover it up with eiter hay or dry leaves in a manner so that 2-3 inches of cane and leaves are still exposed and top it off with some medium sized sticks to hold the hay or leaves at very least let one inch of cane or leaves exposed. Pine tree brances work best to hold down leaves so they dont blow away

When and if it warms up in late Feb/safe is early March you can remove the sticks and some of the hay this will help em breath a bit better continue removing the rest of the hay late March.

There will be some odd looking small canes coming out of the ground in spring. Minis are own root growers there not suckers they will catch up and flower but do trim off dead looking leaves and cut back blacked parts of canes if any.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here