Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melikesthepeculiar

newbie question

melikesthepeculiar
13 years ago

Hi, I know nothing about mini roses (and little about roses in general).

Are miniature roses a wide range of types, or is it very specific? For example I have seen tiny ones that appear to be greenhouse grown and often offered as gifts and sold in grocery stores. Is this what we are talking about? Or does the mini rose category also include other roses that are just small in general?

Can minis be frost hardy or are they generally frost tender? I live in zone 7 (close to Seattle, WA). I'm looking for the smallest roses I can grow here that are frost hardy. I'm interested in any that might be good for a small rock garden, if there are any like that (Do all roses like acid soil? Do you think rocks or gravel would cause a problem with the soil ph?). Also we have hot dry summers, but I think some mulch or gravel would keep the moisture in as long as I water them in the evening)

Thanks for any help you can offer to this newbie!

Comments (4)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    13 years ago

"Miniature" refers to the size of the bloom, not the size of the plant. Plant size can range from 1.5' - 2' tall to over 5' tall. They are sold by a wide variety of vendors.

The ones grown in the greenhouse make very nice plants for outside. Many of them are hybridized by Poulsen Roser in Germany. Most of these potted roses have more than one plant in the pot, see the "How to save a potted gift rose" thread in this forum for more information.

Hardiness depends on the variety, just like the larger varieties. I'm in NJ, on the 6/7 border, and grow many minis.

You don't want to use rocks or gravel to mulch under roses, makes the soil too hot. Use something organic, chopped leaves, compost, or wood chips.

Best bet would be to give your size requirements, and we can help with recommendations. Also, take a look at helpmefind.com, and look at vendor sites, Rosemania.com, Almost Heaven Roses, Palatine Roses, Pickering Nursery, for some ideas.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    13 years ago

"Miniature" refers to the size of the bloom, not the size of the plant. Plant size can range from 1.5' - 2' tall to over 5' tall. They are sold by a wide variety of vendors.

The ones grown in the greenhouse make very nice plants for outside. Many of them are hybridized by Poulsen Roser in Germany. Most of these potted roses have more than one plant in the pot, see the "How to save a potted gift rose" thread in this forum for more information.

Hardiness depends on the variety, just like the larger varieties. I'm in NJ, on the 6/7 border, and grow many minis.

You don't want to use rocks or gravel to mulch under roses, makes the soil too hot. Use something organic, chopped leaves, compost, or wood chips.

Best bet would be to give your size requirements, and we can help with recommendations. Also, take a look at helpmefind.com, and look at vendor sites, Rosemania.com, Almost Heaven Roses, Palatine Roses, Pickering Nursery, for some ideas.

• melikesthepeculiar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, thank you for all of that information! That really answers a lot of my questions.

I am surprised to learn that mini refers only to the bloom size.

I looked at those websites you listed and there are some really nice roses on them. I will take a look at some local nurseries and see what they have first, then I will try a mail order nursery if I can't find anything there.

Also I am definitely going to buy a tiny "gift rose" and give it a trial outside in the garden. If I give it a bit of shelter and some mulch maybe it will pull through the winter.

Well thanks for your help and I will come back if I have any other questions!

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    13 years ago

I live in zone 5b. Minis are hardy for me without covering them.