Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agardenstateof_mind

Green Ice is Chlorotic!

I've had this plant about three years; repotted it this spring. When the chlorosis appeared this summer, I checked out the soil pH, which was fine, fed it with a balanced rose fertilizer and a touch of Ironite, yet the chlorosis is worsening. The interveinal yellowing first appeared on the new leaves, now has progressed to the older leaves. I'd be very sad to lose this lovely little rose!

Although I don't like to do it to a plant that's clearly already under stress, I'm contemplating removing it from the pot, gently removing much of the soil and replacing it with new. Not that the potting soil is all that old, I just don't know what else to try.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I see no insects or mites on the plant and the soil is well-drained, neither overly dry nor waterlogged.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

You've had it for 3 years so you know your rose, but what size pot do you have it in out of curiosity and how large is your rose? If you do decide to repot it I'd suggest a shot of B1 for the stress and shock of repotting. I use that when ever I plant anyways, pot or in the ground. Maybe your rose did a lot of growing over the summer and is already root bound?? I'm by no means an expert on container roses, but I did just repot mine and this is what I found. I had just put it in a large pot in April and I knew at the start of summer it had outgrown it but it was too hot until now to repot it and I could tell by the starting to yellow leaves it needed a new home. It was root bound. I have it in a deep urn now.

You might just check and see, you don't have anything to loose at this point unless someone else can offer something. Have you gone ahead and washed the leaves off anyways? I do a couple of times a week early morning and don't have a problem with spider mites on my roses.
    Leslie

• agardenstateof_mind
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Leslie.

This rose is in a 9" diameter hanging basket. I just checked and, while there are a few roots visible, it is definitely not root bound.

It's rather a small plant, actually. I overwinter it in my little greenhouse and it did have quite a nasty infestation of spider mites and black spot this past winter. I got all that cleaned up, then pruned back the practically leafless canes. It made a very nice comeback ... and now this! The situation has now gone beyond chlorosis, with leaves dropping ... sometimes drying and browning first.

I look at the lovely photos posted of others' Green Ice roses and can only hope that I can figure out what I'm doing wrong here and maybe someday this poor thing will thrive!

Diane

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

I know I'm in a completely different zone and your rose is older than mine though. Mine is a year old in Sept. The first pic is when I transplanted it out of the garden where it was in too much shade on Apr. 3 into a 12" pot.

I could tell by the leaves starting to yellow and brown that it had outgrown the container but I had to wait until it cooled off enough to transplant it. I did that on the 28th of Sept. Pic is from that day. The rose was 9" tall x 21" wide.

I had asked you that because mine was completely root bound at the bottom of the old pot, it came away a mass of roots. I put it in this urn that is much bigger and deeper to spread it's roots in. I showed you the pics to example how much it grew in a couple of months from the smaller pot.

I had the same experience with Sweet Chariot and the same timing only I transplanted it to the ground to spread.

I hope someone with stop in with something more constructive to tell you. I'm sorry.
    Leslie

• bjc320
    16 years ago

My Green Ice is less than a year old and is doing nicely. However, my Camden seems to resemble your Green Ice. The leaves suddenly lost color but did not drop off. In fact, it even produce 2 blooms on 2 separate canes with very lime green foliage behind them. I changed my fertilizing and now am beginning to see recovery in the leaf color. I am not sure what was missing but I must have found it somehow. My Camden is in the same kind of soil as my other mini's and received the same light, water, and fertilizer but was the only one of 11 mini's to turn. 'Tis a mystery!

Barbara

Sponsored