Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ziyakr

Overwintering

ziyakr
10 years ago

Hi, this year my sister and I decided to try 3 miniature roses in pots. After much research we got Rise 'n Shine, Black Jade and Climbing Rainbow's End and expected to like all of them quite a bit. All 3 are in approx. 24 inch containers, the climber is in a grow box with a 4 foot arch trellis attached. Turns out Rise 'n Shine was not to my taste so I passed it on to my mom, who thinks it's lovely. Black Jade is really pretty, great bloom form and doing great. Rainbow's End is very healthy and has nearly filled it's trellis, but has bloomed little and the flowers are kind of...well, they are dull *sigh*. My plan for these over the winter is to take them into my unheated garage and store them up off the floor. I've read to keep them slightly damp. Will they loose their leaves, like an in the ground rosebush? Missouri winters can vary from 70 degrees one day to 20 the next but rarely get below that. On the warmest days I plan to check on the garage since it can get very warm, on the coldest should I consider a temporary electric heater? Any comments about these roses specifically...esp about Rainbow's End would be appreciated. I want to like it since the foliage is SO healthy but may end up getting rid of it next year if it doesn't grow on me.

Thanks,
Ziya

The pics are from May 20, but I enjoy all the pics people post and wanted to share these.

Comments (5)