Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldgrowthforest

Whiteout

oldgrowthforest
18 years ago

Hello, everyone. I am new to the forum, but not to roses. I recently ordered Whiteout from John's Miniature Roses. Talk about a charmer!

But I am surprised by its tiny size. It is listed as a "medium" rose, but it fits the description for Si. It is so little. I wrote an email to Heirloom/John's and asked if I got the correct rose (it looks like the picture), or if Whiteout is a micro and not a "medium" sized rose. After no answer, I called. Of course the staff member was lovely and polite, but frustrating for me because she insisted it was a "medium" sized rose from her information, but I didn't get the sense that she had seen the rose itself.

Describing this rose, which is admittedly only 6 weeks old for me, as being 1/4 the size of Baby Betsy McCall, which was ordered at the same time, didn't seem to sink in. Baby Betsy McCall IS a micro. Whiteout, however, is TINY!! It is not even 1/4 the size of BBM. I don't have a camera, so I can't show you, but the bush at its present stage of growth is barely 6 inches tall, it is upright (just like some big roses) with five nice canes, it has a dozen buds on it of various size, the open bloom is approximately 1/2" and it is the smallest thing I have ever seen next to one truly rare rose Ralph Moore showed me at his nursery about 10 years ago that was native to the San Diego area and had leaflets the size of a grain of rice.

Anyone have any experience with Whiteout? If you ever saw it, you would want it. I took it to work in a 3.5 inch pot and joked that it was my "pet rosebush." It is amazing. Everyone was captivated, and several people commented, "it even has tiny, perfect little thorns." All this and a detectable fragrance just floored people. They all wanted one.

Comments (4)