Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whiteout

Posted by oldgrowthforest Z4 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 17, 05 at 16:42

Hello, everyone. I am new to the forum, but not to roses. I recently ordered Whiteout from John's Miniature Roses. Talk about a charmer!

But I am surprised by its tiny size. It is listed as a "medium" rose, but it fits the description for Si. It is so little. I wrote an email to Heirloom/John's and asked if I got the correct rose (it looks like the picture), or if Whiteout is a micro and not a "medium" sized rose. After no answer, I called. Of course the staff member was lovely and polite, but frustrating for me because she insisted it was a "medium" sized rose from her information, but I didn't get the sense that she had seen the rose itself.

Describing this rose, which is admittedly only 6 weeks old for me, as being 1/4 the size of Baby Betsy McCall, which was ordered at the same time, didn't seem to sink in. Baby Betsy McCall IS a micro. Whiteout, however, is TINY!! It is not even 1/4 the size of BBM. I don't have a camera, so I can't show you, but the bush at its present stage of growth is barely 6 inches tall, it is upright (just like some big roses) with five nice canes, it has a dozen buds on it of various size, the open bloom is approximately 1/2" and it is the smallest thing I have ever seen next to one truly rare rose Ralph Moore showed me at his nursery about 10 years ago that was native to the San Diego area and had leaflets the size of a grain of rice.

Anyone have any experience with Whiteout? If you ever saw it, you would want it. I took it to work in a 3.5 inch pot and joked that it was my "pet rosebush." It is amazing. Everyone was captivated, and several people commented, "it even has tiny, perfect little thorns." All this and a detectable fragrance just floored people. They all wanted one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whiteout

I haven't even seen it, and I want it! I usually buy from Nor'East and Sequoia, But it looks like i will have to check out John's miniature roses! This sounds like it makes red minimo look big!
Lee

o

I've seen Whiteout and bought it. Perhaps by medium, they mean the plant grows to a medium size. The flowers are certainly tiny. It is very pretty. In my disease prone garden, it was quickly wiped out by Black Spot. Almost any rose I put in that area dies out after 2 years. It may have done better on the "good" side of my house.

o

It is pretty. If it gets to be "medium" sized, I think it would have to be called a micro climber! It is tiny.
For those who have not seen it, it has cupped buds that start out with a peachy-pink center, that open to pom-pom blossoms of pure white with ruby-red stamens. It is quite perfect. I'll borrow a camera and post a photo soon. It is so stinkin' cute.

o

Well, a couple of weeks have gone by and I've decided that Whiteout may be in its own category of micromini.

This is a tiny rose, y'all. It is a fraction of the size of my micro, Baby Betsy M. I suspect that it may reach "medium" height eventually, but this rose is not a "medium" rose. It is so small. For those of you with an interest in the truly small roses, you may wish to look at Whiteout. It is lovely. It is the offspring of the floribunda Sexy Rexy - a great rose, and Popcorn, and it has some remarkable strengths for its small form.

I did obtain photos that are loaded onto my computer, but I have yet to figure out how to upload them onto the forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here