Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmac_2008

Andie Mac Dowell & Mother's Love

jmac_2008
15 years ago

Hello,

Has anyone had experience with the mini-floras Andie Mac Dowell & Mother's Love? I have found some basic information regarding type and color but would appreciate any personal observations.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• roadrunner23
    15 years ago

I have no experience with Andie MacDowell, Mother's Love is new in my garden this year. It has been a major disappointment so far. Plant is growing well but the blooms have been small and dull with very few petals. They lose form and fade too quickly for my taste. Some roses take more time than others to settle in and perform their best, this may be one of them, or maybe it just doesn't like Arizona. I'm going to give it another season.

• jmac_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi roadrunner,
    Thanks for your comments. It's very helpful to know what other people have observed. The only info I had to go on was Nor'East Roses' description calling Mother's Love, "An iridescent blending of soft yellow and shades of pink to coral give these blooms a wonderful 'glow'. The plant is fast growing and prolific of blooms, all with perfect show form." The he bloom size is suppose to reach 3". I recently went ahead and bought Mother's Love, but it's still too young and little for to tell much about it. I hope that it turns out well for both of us. I'd be very interested in any updates.

If anyone has experience with Mother's Love or Andie MacDowell, please let me know.
    Thanks!

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    15 years ago

I grow Andie McDowell. It puts out a lot of sprays with 3-4blooms per spray. I have seen 4or5 sprays at once on the plant. The color is an orangeish color. It puts on a good show.

• jmac_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Dan for helpful input on Andie MacDowell and invasive roots in another chain. I think there are not many Andie MacDowell growers.

If anyone else has experience with Andie MacDowell, Mother's Love and Ambiance, I would love to hear from you!

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    15 years ago

It isn't the plant you see in the catalogs. I may dig mine so I can put a better rose in!

• soonerd2000
    15 years ago

i have all three and andie is history this winter its getting shoveled pruned it does put out lots and lots of sprays but seems to black spot even with me spraying. Mothers love is a mini not a mini flora and it is a small pink rose but it grows well for me and i've been able to show it and get blue ribbons i don't think it will ever make it to the court though. and ambiance is new to me got one in a pot and one in the ground the one in the pot is twice the size and has put off some show quailty blooms

• jmac_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks soonerd2000 for this feedback on Andie MacDowell and Mother's Love. After posting, I realized that I mislabeled Mother's Love as a mini-flora. Congratulations on your blue ribbons with Mother's Love. I'm looking forward to seeing the first blooms on my plant. That's disappointing news about Andie MacDowell, but it's better to know the negative points. I should think of replacing it next spring. My plant is so young that it is not 6" tall. No buds yet, and I probably won't see any this year. I purchased Andie based on the seller's description.

Having had one very bad experience with blackspot, I definitely want to avoid another, so I appreciate the warning. I try to purchase plants that are good at resisting blackspot. By the way, do you have any experience with Mother Lode? When I had the blackspot problems, it seemed to suffer the most.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals