Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisyjo37

Wintering my potted minis in zone 8

daisyjo37
17 years ago

I'm a newbie who has had great success with my potted minis over the summer. Two that are gorgeous and just keep blooming. But I'm nervous about the cooler weather and what to do with them. It's starting to drop into the 50's at night, still in the 90's during the day. Probably won't freeze until December. I live in an apartment, so putting them in the ground is not an option. It doesn't get very cold here, so I didn't know if it would even get cold enough for them to go dormant very long. I know nothing about what to do - is there anyone with some advice for me?

Comments (5)

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

How many minis do you have? Also I'm of the mind not to prune until just before new growth starts in the spring, I've always done this. The rose hips that form help the plant winterize itself. I feel as a whole this helps make the plant stronger for winter and I've never lost a plant to the snow in the mountains or the cold in the valley. But...I've never potted roses with the exception of a climber.

I'd put the minis against your bldg as close as you can when your nights start dipping toward the 30's and on a night you know it's going to freeze bring them just inside the door and put them on a tarp so they don't ruin your floor if you don't have that many and put them back out in the am. If you have too many to bring in find something to tarp them outside that's not plastic and drape them with it. Another thought is to call a nursery and ask them.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

It has to get and stay below 20 degrees here for me to even think about doing anything to my potted minis. A couple of 30 degree nights should not be a problem. Make sure that the soil doesn't dry out. You are really worried then do as lesdvs recommends.

• daisyjo37
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the help, lesdvs. I have 2 potted minis. I could easily bring them in at night. I've just read somewhere that minis need a dormant season every year in order to stay strong. So I was worried about what would happen to them if it never really got that cold here. It's a great idea to call a nursery, though. Thanks for that.

Diane, how often should I water in the winter? Thanks for your help.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    17 years ago

You want the roses to go dormant - drop their leaves, get cold. Keep them out of the north wind (or block it). Actually any wind will not be good (sucks moisture out of the canes). Been wintering pots outside for many many many years. Never lost a rose until last year. A north wind early November as well as a 70 degree temperature drop within 24 hours killed. Roses in pots out of the wind LIVED. Do not bring your roses inside over winter unless temperatures drop down real low for an extended time (days and days and days). Get a moisture meter. Water by it. Maybe once a week, maybe less.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

Yeah, just check the soil moisture with your finger. If it is moist, it is OK, of not, then water.

There are many zones where they don't go "dormant", and they are fine.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio