Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Work of Art not blooming

Posted by mljan z10CA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 7, 05 at 21:17

My Work of Art is new this year. Once it got started, it's grown very fast up a six foot trellis. I cut the top off a branch when it reached 6 feet, and it then put out lots of branches at the top. Is this what some refer to as a candleabra? Problem is, there are very few blooms.

Do I need to bend the branches down like some other climbers? How should I be training this on the trellis?Could this just be the plant is too busy gaining height to bloom? Advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Work of Art not blooming

Hi there,

When did you purchase your Work of Art and from whom? I purchased mine from Heirloom in June and it has only grown about 3 inches tall. It has since given me only about 7 flowers. I noticed three more buds and new growth this week and I think it's because of the alfalfa tea. Have you tried the tea yet?

o

I got mine from Nor'East in about March, potted it in a 6" pot. It started very slowly, by far the slowest of the 12 minis I ordered. I planted it in the soil about early May, still quite small. Then it finally put out one strong cane which reached up rapidly, followed by two other main canes. I had one of the shorter canes flower at the tip with 6 or so buds, very pretty, in late July, but none since. The plant is very healthy. I didn't use alfalfa tea, but I did scratch alfalfa meal into the soil in late spring/early summer, and I'm going to do it again soon.

It sounds like yours is on a similar time schedule, based on buying it 3 months later.

o

Hope yours does better than mine. I've had it for 4 years and it's still only around a foot tall and hardly gives me any blooms...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here