Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do I do w/ my indoor Kordana Mini's?!?

Posted by bethany_z5 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 27, 06 at 21:52

My hubby bought me 2 grocery store Mini's that turned out to be quite nice so I'd like to save them.
I've had them on a kitchen windowsill and now that the colder weather has snuck up on me I'm wondering if its possible to plant them outside.
Day temps range from the low 50's - 60's and night temps in the 30's - 40's. Is it too late to harden them off?
I don't have any dark, cool rooms.
Water freezes in my un-attached garage.
The tags says:
Grown in Canada
Cinderella & Escimo Kordana
Zone 5-9

THANKS for any advise!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do I do w/ my indoor Kordana Mini's?!?

Go ahead and get them planted. Minis are some of the hardiest roses and in zone 5 can be planted through October. But the sooner the better, to let them get their roots established. My mom just got a pretty red Kordana rose. Indoors it wont survive long, you'll need very strong sunlight and spider mites will arrive. Good luck!

Jen

o

I have those two in our back yard in pots. They're great little roses.

If you plant them now, plant them where they'll get at least 6 hours of sun a day, mulch them well and don't give them any fertilizer with nitrogen until next spring. You might want to look for a sheltered spot in your yard.

o

I'm in zone 9 even and my husband got me 2 also. I put them in a bright window sill and one died. I put the other outside and it's flourishing in the ceramic pot I transplanted it to. Come to think of it, 'bout the only potted rose I ever got to grow beyond a climber I then planted in the ground after we moved. It's doing well in the pot but I am rethinking putting it in the ground this month. We do get some frosts here in central CA. I think I'd take Kathya's advise. :)

o

Kordana Minis are "Throw away Roses" in Europe after they finished blooming.
These are bred to bloom just once, but you may try them outside.

o

No True! I have a Cinderella Kordana that has done quite well over the years. It's surprisingly hardy.

I had it in a plastic pot outside and I neglected it. I truly thought it was dead and I sorta was lazy and forgot about it. When I went to throw out the pots and things in that area of my backyard I found it GROWING the next spring. And it really grew quite nicely, so I put it in the ground and it has bllomed quite nicely for me this last year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here