Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethany_z5

What do I do w/ my indoor Kordana Mini's?!?

Bethany_Z5
17 years ago

My hubby bought me 2 grocery store Mini's that turned out to be quite nice so I'd like to save them.

I've had them on a kitchen windowsill and now that the colder weather has snuck up on me I'm wondering if its possible to plant them outside.

Day temps range from the low 50's - 60's and night temps in the 30's - 40's. Is it too late to harden them off?

I don't have any dark, cool rooms.

Water freezes in my un-attached garage.

The tags says:

Grown in Canada

Cinderella & Escimo Kordana

Zone 5-9

THANKS for any advise!

Comments (8)

• Kathy
    17 years ago

I have those two in our back yard in pots. They're great little roses.

If you plant them now, plant them where they'll get at least 6 hours of sun a day, mulch them well and don't give them any fertilizer with nitrogen until next spring. You might want to look for a sheltered spot in your yard.

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

I'm in zone 9 even and my husband got me 2 also. I put them in a bright window sill and one died. I put the other outside and it's flourishing in the ceramic pot I transplanted it to. Come to think of it, 'bout the only potted rose I ever got to grow beyond a climber I then planted in the ground after we moved. It's doing well in the pot but I am rethinking putting it in the ground this month. We do get some frosts here in central CA. I think I'd take Kathya's advise. :)

• george_mander
    17 years ago

Kordana Minis are "Throw away Roses" in Europe after they finished blooming.
    These are bred to bloom just once, but you may try them outside.

• tomatoes4ever
    17 years ago

No True! I have a Cinderella Kordana that has done quite well over the years. It's surprisingly hardy.

I had it in a plastic pot outside and I neglected it. I truly thought it was dead and I sorta was lazy and forgot about it. When I went to throw out the pots and things in that area of my backyard I found it GROWING the next spring. And it really grew quite nicely, so I put it in the ground and it has bllomed quite nicely for me this last year.

• Lena MacInnis
    8 years ago

ok I'm confused, one says plant the other say don't plant outdoors hey for 10 bucks I guess I have to do trial and error...lol

• seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

These are regular roses and will do very well outside. I have many minis planted in the ground that survive my winters for years and years. Roses are not house plants EVER! They should be outside whether potted or planted. They'll do great either way.

• msdorkgirl
    8 years ago

I've gotten throw away minis and if you give them room to grow, they give you quicker rebloom then normal size roses. You might also end up scouring the stores for when they're on $1 clearance.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio