Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ateems

Rapid yellowing of leaves

Ateems
9 years ago

Hi gardeners,

I bought a miniature rose plant from a nursery 1 week ago. I transplanted it into a larger terracotta pot and placed it outdoors where it gets a few hours of direct sun.

The plant was very healthy when I got it; it had lots of leaves. Ever since I transplanted it, lower leaves have been becoming soft and yellow. I thought this was an over watering problem, so I have not watered the plant in last 4 days. The yellowing still happens but at a lesser rate or at least I think so. Maybe my plant is just not left with many more leaves to yellow.

The upper leaves started to develop dark spots on them at the same time. I though it was fungus, so I removed those leaves and sprayed the rest with milk and water mixture for 2 days. I think it helped.

The plant has lost almost 50% of its lower leaves. I used a potting mixture I had lying around and put put a 1-1-1 miracle grow stick in it. Is it possible to tell if the soil I used has a good drainage?

I feel I should water the plant now or I would kill it by under watering. Do you have any suggestions on how much should I water. I generally tend to go on until there's water coming out of the drainage hole at the bottom. Does watering needs to be done at certain time of day? I have watered this plant in the evenings which could have caused all these issues.

Should I buy a new potting mixture and re-pot it? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
SJ

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area