Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ateems

Rapid yellowing of leaves

Ateems
9 years ago

Hi gardeners,

I bought a miniature rose plant from a nursery 1 week ago. I transplanted it into a larger terracotta pot and placed it outdoors where it gets a few hours of direct sun.

The plant was very healthy when I got it; it had lots of leaves. Ever since I transplanted it, lower leaves have been becoming soft and yellow. I thought this was an over watering problem, so I have not watered the plant in last 4 days. The yellowing still happens but at a lesser rate or at least I think so. Maybe my plant is just not left with many more leaves to yellow.

The upper leaves started to develop dark spots on them at the same time. I though it was fungus, so I removed those leaves and sprayed the rest with milk and water mixture for 2 days. I think it helped.

The plant has lost almost 50% of its lower leaves. I used a potting mixture I had lying around and put put a 1-1-1 miracle grow stick in it. Is it possible to tell if the soil I used has a good drainage?

I feel I should water the plant now or I would kill it by under watering. Do you have any suggestions on how much should I water. I generally tend to go on until there's water coming out of the drainage hole at the bottom. Does watering needs to be done at certain time of day? I have watered this plant in the evenings which could have caused all these issues.

Should I buy a new potting mixture and re-pot it? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
SJ

Comments (8)

• Ateems
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Soil

• Ateems
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bottom of the plant

• Ateems
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is how I bought it.

This post was edited by Ateems on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 22:33

• msm84
    9 years ago

Ateens, is that clay pot sealed inside? If not then its not a good pot for a rose. The clay just sucks the moisture out of the soil and after awhile salts build up on the outside. If you real like the appearance of the clay pot then buy a plastic pot for the rose and place it inside the clay pot. The soil looks fine, but the size of the pot I don't think is large enough. Keep in mind it may take your plant a couple of weeks to adjust when you first bring it home and re-pot especially if you bought it where the plants are kept inside. Also when you first plant all that is necessary is B-1 and no fertilizer until the plant is well established. (Potted plants should be feed at half the recommended dose.) Over fertilizing can do alot of damage.

Good Luck and Happy Gardening,
    Ms.Mary

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Rapidly yellowing leaves is a water problem. Unfortunately both too much water and too little water will cause these same symptoms. I agree with MS, Mary that terra cotta pots are not good pots for roses. Find a good plastic or resin pot and add a few extra drainage holes to it and see if that helps. Also do NOT put any kind of tray under the pot. Instead put it up on a wire pot trolley so the holes can drain freely. Keep the soil moist but not soggy wet and see if that solves the problem. Do not fertilize it until you begin to see new growth. The plant is already stressed and fertilizer will only make that worse.

• Ateems
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks a lot for your suggestions Mary and Seil.

I will transfer the rose to a plastic pot and also remove the fertilizer stick from the soil. The clay pot has a big hole at the bottom but I covered it with a very thin cloth so that the soil doesn't fall out, water is able to drain through it fine.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    9 years ago

Try to find a Moisture Meter. I have some minis under lights. I water them once a week. I do check them with my Moisture Meter. That way I don't over water them

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    9 years ago

I just checked, go to amazon and look for plant moisture meters. They have a bunch! Very good investment for potted plants!!!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio