Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovesroses

Irresistible questions

lovesroses
15 years ago

Well, I already purchased 25 of them, but have a couple questions: 1. I'm down in south Alabama, and need to know what their probable spread dimension will be. Even tho it says these are upright, is there any "bushiness" to them (I'm hoping so!). 2. Do they have alot of blackspot in this very humid area? 3. Is the height about what it says, 2 1/2 to 3 feet? I'm planting a low "hedge" on my property line. Thanks for any and all info, Dianne

Comments (3)

• rosesnpots
    15 years ago

loveroses

grettings, whow 25 already, you have been bitten by the rose bug. I am not expert by far but I can at least answer your questions but I highly recommend you contact your local Rose Society as they have the experts that really know how to grow roses in your area.

Spread dimension really depends on which type of roses you purchased. If they say upright you should still get some fullness but not as the same as say a true shrub rose.

Blackspot is a problem almost everywhere and no rose is totally resistant. The best way to control it is to pruchase roses that are known to be "blackspot resistant" for your area. What may not blackspot in one area may in another. The best thing is to watch your roses closely and spray as soon as you see the first sign.

Height for a mini? Again, it depends on the rose and where it is grown. I have seen minis go as big as 4 feet tall and just about as wide if not realy pruned. Remeber the name mini is the size of the bloom not the bush. I have two minis both in their first year and both are allready 2ft tall.

Hope this helps and remember your local Rose Society.

• lesdvs9
    15 years ago

Holy cow! 25 Irresistibles! Mine is almost 5 tall and almost that wide. It is densely thick, bushy as you're asking. It's two years old also. I have a 9 month growing season, no disease problems here but I am zone 9.

BTW the first year's growth ended at 44"tallx56"wide on mine.

This doesn't show very well, but Irresistible is the bush to the back right of this metal sunflower. The pic also doesn't show how wide Iresistible is and the sunflower is 4' tall. BTW these are all mini roses in this pic.

• lovesroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you both for your input. The photo showing Irresistible to the back and right of the metal sunflower was very helpful. Yeah, 25, and I'm glad I got a better idea of this baby's dimensions. I've been into rose growing for years, but had to take my whole gardens out and put down sod when I got too sick to care for all my beauties. I'm slowly getting better, and wanted minis to us as a property border. Thanks alot again! Dianne Jones

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting