Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Miniature Roses

Posted by Kasie 10 CA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 28, 05 at 23:53

I live in Southern California and was wondering if miniature roses will do better planted in the ground or keep them in pots?

Kasie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Miniature Roses

Hi Kasie,

I dont live where you are, but they will do well in either situation. In a pot they will need much more water, TLC, but will be fine in your climate. In the ground roses really flourish and do their best. Pots do save space, just make sure the roots have room to grow.

Jen

o

In the ground is better. Many varieties do OK in pots but giving the roots lots of space is always the best. Remember, "miniature" refers to the bloom size, not necessarily the plant size.

o

Hi Jen and Diane - thank you so much for the valuable information.

Kasie

o

I guess my clay soil and west coast totally dry summers where the ground turns into concrete is hard on the mini's. I bought over a hundred mini's a couple of years ago and many dwindled to almost nothing or died. I have been rescuing some of the small ones and putting them back in pots where they start leafing out and growing again, and the ones I rescued last year are blooming nicely now. So my experience is that most except for the yellows which seem to be the toughest, and a few like White Cloud, Seabreeze, and Sweet Chariot, do better for me in pots. I winter them over in my unheated garage.

o

• Posted by minibot z9/10NorCA Sz17 (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 5, 05 at 15:59

I live up North of you, and I have had an okay time in pots, but I just started growing these. They should be fine for a year, but eventually I'll have to pot them up to bigger pots. They came in 4" pots and I put them in about 12" or so. I see new growth and everything! I don't want to put them in the ground because I don't own :-(.

minibot

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here