Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmac_2008

How tall is Denver's Dream?

jmac_2008
15 years ago

This summer I purchased Denver's Dream from Nor'East, which advertises its max. height as 24" to 30." This is also the height indicated on HMF. I would like my plant to reach at least 24."

Denver's Dream is about 8" tall so far and seems healthy. Since making this purchase, I've noticed several nurseries advertising Denver's Dream with a max. height of 16", which would be too short for me. How tall is your Denver's Dream?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (8)

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    15 years ago

This is the second year for my Denver's Dream. It is short, less than 24 inches tall and has never produced the abundance of blooms that I was expecting. I was thinking that it could be the location of where I planted the bush. Is yours a producer?

• jmac_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Kentucky rose,
    Denver's Dream is definitely a bloom producer with striking red-orange blooms that gradually turn to a uniform coppery orange. It is "shrubbier" in shape with more horizontal growth compared to the young Salute, Amy Grant, Hot Tamale, and Lady Bren that I purchased at the same time from Nor'East. All of these are now taller than Denver's Dream, even though the max. height of some of these is shorter than the max. height of 24-30" predicted for Denver's Dream.

I'm wondering if there is a short version of Denver's Dream since some nurseries are describing it as having a 16" max. height.

Does anyone have a Denver's Dream that is at least 24"? Was it purchased from Nor'East? Thanks!

• roadrunner23
    15 years ago

I purchased Denver's Dream from Nor'East in April of 2006. It didn't do much the first year but has matured into a very nice bush about 24" tall. It has one new really vigorous cane about 35" tall that is finally showing some bloom buds. The canes are strong and upright and I get really good consistent bloom. Mine is growing in a 12" plastic pot.

• jmac_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for these inputs. I was worried I might have to move Denver's Dream from the row of tall minis to the row of shorter minis in front. It's reassuring to know someone else's Denver's Dream from Nor'East didn't do much the first year either, but the 24" height was eventually reached.
    DD can produce beautiful blooms.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    15 years ago

Jmac,

I've been interested in Lady Bren, but did not order it this year. Any info on this rose would be appreciated. Would you recommend it? Thanks in advance.

Kentucky Rose

• jmac_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kentucky Rose,
    Lady Bren was everything the Nor'East website promised. It is vigorous and upright in growth. I believe it will reach a max. height of 30". Mine is 13" now, and I've had it about 4 mos. I have it growing in the ground. During this time, it's grown additional canes and the original canes have become thicker. It is a generous bloomer. The blooms are a beautiful dark pink with a white reverse, 2" with many petals. I like the dark green leaves too.

I had one episode of black spot (I was not spraying regularly and my rose plants were mistakenly drenched by the lawn sprinkler at night), but Lady Bren quickly recovered with some spraying. The plant has been a strong grower for me, and I recommend it.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    15 years ago

Jmac,

Does Lady Bren's form hold and does it blow fast? I enjoy cutting roses and putting them in a vase. I don't like roses that ball. Thanks for the info about BS, cause I don't want a BS magnet. I got Jennifer this year and it really blows fast and I'm seriously thinking of shovel pruning it.

Kentucky Rose

• jmac_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kentucky Rose,
    Lady Bren holds it blooms very well. The blooms do not disintegrate quickly. I didn't cut any for the vase this year, but I know LB is used for cut flower.
    Cheers, jmac

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!