Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evie1955

Who's Ever Grown Starina?

evie1955
16 years ago

Looked it up on HMF after visting a catalog online (Bridges), is noted for the fragrrance. It's won many awards, even the local Pinellas Society.

I really like Bees Knees but the fragrance is only mild.

May give Starina a shot, the color is somewhat like Trumpeter.

Please tell me how it grows for you.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (16)

• mike_in_new_orleans
    16 years ago

I grew this one, and my climate is very much like yours. Good rose, very compact bush, a true classic mini in that sense (minis seem to be bigger now than a couple decades ago; I don't know). Like other minis noted to be fragrant but not "super-fragrant," I don't detect anything from this one unless it's cut and sitting in the right climate-controlled room, or unless the weather is just perfect.

To me, this is a winter rose. The form and color and holding power of the blooms is terrific in the cool of our Gulf Coast winters. In winter, the color is an intense deep vermillian. In summer I'm not that impressed, though the plant is healthy all-year round; the blooms are more orange.

I hope this is more helpful than confusing. : /

• evie1955
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Mike, appreciate your feedback:)

• diggerndeb
    16 years ago

This is a repeat of what I mentioned at GB for you. I figure it won't hurt for others to read it here. Starina has been one of our best minis since 2001. She has been the first to bloom 5 of the 6 springs she has been here.
    {{gwi:1201148}}
    Color is darker in cool weather here too.
    {{gwi:1212364}}
    That photo was taken in hot weather. Fragrance is moderate. I feel Starina earned her place as a charter member in the mini hall of fame. Excellent rose.

Mike, I have been wondering how Sweet Arlene did for you. I know you got her, in part, because of my enthusiasm about her. I have been wondering how she did in such a different climate. I noticed you listed her in a constant bloom thread. That made me hopeful she did as well for you as she does here.

{{gwi:1207189}}

digger

• evie1955
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Dave:)

• laura1
    16 years ago

I grew Starina for years on fortuniana. It is a great rose. For a while it was rated the 9 (I think) in the ARS handbook for Selecting Roses. It has been around a long time now and other newer roses take the limelight. Digger is right that it deserves to be in the hall of fame.

• mike_in_new_orleans
    16 years ago

Digger, Sweet Arlene is doing great here. Shot up in height quickly for me. Bloomed right through the summer with respectible form, though like most roses she holds better in cooler (i.e. moderate temperatures). Now that I've had her several months, she's also starting to fill out in a nice bushy way. Moderate fragrance for me (I don't have the most discerning nose). Great rose. I like the hint of violet/pink blush.

Sorry Evie for veering off-topic a bit.

Mike

• diggerndeb
    16 years ago

Thanks Mike :) I was pretty sure Evie wouldn't mind a slight hijack. Didn't want to start a thread just to ask you and I was fairly sure you would read followups.
    Funny thing is... I didn't think I would like the blush (or the color for that matter). I catch myself watching open blooms to see what color develops.
    The only fault I find with SA is the canes won't hold blooms up if we have a heavy rain
    {{gwi:335080}}
    or I wash the foliage. All those sagging blooms had been upright the day before. Deb didn't mind. She had cut a bunch off that sagged so much the canes kinked. She loves cutting entire sprays and sticking them in a vase.

digger

• evie1955
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hijack all you want:) I just recently bought a Sweet Arlene too:)

Thanks all for the Starina feedback.

Hey Laura, are you the one in the Tampa rose Society?

• laura1
    16 years ago

One in the same. I figured you might be Evie from TRS. Are you going on the garden tour?
    laura

• evie1955
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Laura, fancy meeting you here:)

I sure am, looking forward to it:) Are you going?

I thought you may have been the same when I read your post about minis...lol

Went to Home Depot today and bought a Hot Tamale, not bad for $6.99. Here's the pic of what I got.

I also have Sweet Arlene and X-Rated. Sue (Dee Bennett's daughter) and Digger Dave sure know how to enable a newbie. lol

• evie1955
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laura,

Where do you buy your mini roses on fortuniana rootstock in Tampa?

• laura1
    16 years ago

I mail order my minis. They are all own root and in pots. The only one that is grafted I bought at the national rose show in Dallas and brought it home in my suitcase on the plane.

I will be at the rose tour. See ya there.

• evie1955
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Laura:)

Did you by chance bring in a X-Rated to do Show & Tell back about 4 months ago? If so, you're one of the people that enabled me to buy that plant as well...lol I got mine from Nor'East mail order.

I'll be bringing my camera for the tour, looking forward of eating lunch in the beautiful large rose garden too.

• evie1955
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Didn't see a Starina yesterday but pretty sure Al has grown it.

Did you notice? What was your favorite of all you saw?

• laura1
    16 years ago

The Green's have some nice roses (so does Marilyn) but Al had the ones that caught my eye. He had some nice minis, more than I thought he grew. But the HT Jema continues to be a favorite of mine. I used to grow it but it is very hard to find & hard for a novice to graft (I'm not doing that anymore anyway).

• evie1955
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Al certainly did have some nice roses, was a wonderful day, all three gardens were definately worth visting:)

I took pics at all three.

Sponsored