Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pappu_gw

Hot Tamale or Rainbow's End?

pappu
18 years ago

Having a tough time deciding between the two. I need a compact bush about 2 feet tall and am planning a hege about 18 feet long. Which one is hardier, has better disease resistant and is more floriferous? What would be a good, reasonable priced online source for either of these?

Thank you

Comments (13)

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

Hi there!

I have some experience with Rainbow's End. It's pretty disease resistant and hardy, low growing about to 18 inches. It is bushy. Dont know about Hot Tamale, but I think RE is better looking. HT is too garish for me. I'll have to look into some sources to buy either one.

Jen

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

Nor'East has both.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    18 years ago

I've grown both side by side and Hot Tamale is cold tomatoes in my garden now. Hot Tamale had a problem with blackspot (I spray), Rainbow's End did not. Hot Tamale opened quickly, Rainbow's End went through numerous color changes before finally needing to be deadheaded. Hot Tamale was taller then Rainbow's End, had longer stems and was fragrant with a striking color. In your colder zone it may hold it's bloom better. I'm not in your zone so can't speak to ultimate heights, but my Rainbow's End after many many years is still only about 2 feet high. Hot Tamales height may be a better bet for you, or perhaps you may want to explore other options.

• BeeVee
    18 years ago

I am fanatical about Hot Tamale. it does get BS so I spray it as much as I can. But the colors of that beauty is just breathless. Wish I could post a pic for you! I get a lot more blooms from it than Rainbow's End.

• jpw_chi
    18 years ago

Was very happy with Hot Tamale this summer, probably the top one of the fifteen or so mini's I had. I'm surprised to hear about the BS, because it definitely healthier than some of the others.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down for Hot Tamale

• weldontx
    18 years ago

I only have Rainbow's End. I like the bloom--only wish the yellow/red stayed a little longer. The 16 - 18 months I've had it has stayed under 2 ft. BUT suddenly there is a single shoot that is nearly 40 inches tall. Is this common? Could it be a "sport". When I prune next Spring, I intend to root cuttings and see what develops. Any guesses??
    Weldon

• Janell
    18 years ago

I've grown both and much prefer Hot Tamale. I haven't had problem with blackspot, and I love the color. The bloom also lasts longer than Rainbow's End. The color is quite different, though, so go with the color you prefer. Either one is a great rose.

• tatiana_il
    18 years ago

I like Hot tamale for fragrance and continuous bloom, it does not rest much between flushes, even if you fail to deadhead. Love itÂs color as well. I have three of them as bush form and two as standards. Black Spot prone without spraying.
    "HT" are still blooming now.
    Tatiana.

• pappu
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Tatiana, how big do they get for you?

• diggerdave
    18 years ago

Don't shoot me.... {{gwi:1201192}} gets 18 inches to 2 feet tall x 2 feet wide here. {{gwi:1201193}} is one of my favorite minis. {{gwi:1212376}} is a bloom factory and is among the first to bloom each spring. I tried not to reply because I can't compare {{gwi:1212377}} to Rainbow's End and I tend to get carried away.... {{gwi:1201199}} Is that incoming I hear??

• tatiana_il
    18 years ago

My Hot tamales are about 2.5 ft x 2.5 ft; I prune them to 1 ft every spring. They stay compact and rebloom well. I did not spray much past summer due to the drought; they defoliated in mid July, but kept on blooming. Usually with once a month spraying they look very nice.
    They have also interesting shade of foliage; it is deep green with burgundy shade on old leaves and bright burgundy on new. Remembering you post you seem to prefer bright bold colored roses, this one will definitely fit to your garden.

• tenor_peggy
    18 years ago

How interesting. When I gardened up north I first grew Rainbow's End but I couldn't control blackspot on it. I removed RE and put Hot Tamale in its spot and it did very well. I enjoyed its fragrance too. RE did not have any fragrance that I could detect.

• mike_in_new_orleans
    18 years ago

I've grown both, got rid of Rainbow's End after 3 years--because it was prone to Blackspot. My climate is quite different from Illinois, but Hot Tamale has been FAR more disease-resistant (down here,that means Blackspot!) than Rainbow's End. Both bloom a lot, but because Hot Tomale bushes are taller and still bushy, I think ultimately I get more total blooms from it. Hot Tamale has better hybrid tea-like bloom form, too, so I like the appearance better. I don't really think of these two roses as being in the same color class, because RE is clearly yellow with red-fading-to-pink edges, while Hot Tamale is a continously changing blend of yellow,orange, and pink. The total effect is much more fiery than sunny. Reminds me of Chicago Peace or Voodoo. Incidentally, Hot Tamale has softer coloring in hot weather, more intense in cool weather.

A good substitute for RE might be the mini-flora Autumn Splendor, an intensely golden yellow with red edges. Much more disease-resistant than RE ever was for me. It has 2 inch blooms but the bush stays compact. I just bought Bees'Knees, too, a more delicately colored yellow with pink edges; reminds me of Peace. I don't know yet how well it will do but it is praised by exhibitors I've talked to.

Sponsored