Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Climbing minis

Posted by Tenor_peggy WI 4/5 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 04 at 14:04

I'm in the market for a climbing mini for a smallish trellis I have. Besides Jean Lajoie, what one would you all recommend? Thnx. :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Climbing minis

I've never had much luck wintering a mini climber here in Zone 5. The one I have, cl Rainbow's End, is just a tall mini as it dies back to the top of any winter protection that I give it.
You might have to lay the canes on the ground and cover with soil in order to keep the canes healthy over winter.

o
Try checking out groundcover roses.

Some of them are quite hardy, and trail (not the same as climbing, but you could tie them up!)
Some have small flowers, many of them. Give them a look.

o

i don't know if they'd be hardy there, but i love red cascade(no scent, but scads of blooms2-3x a summer-it's blooming now), and work of art, which is scented, shades of peach and just lovely. red cascade is an old one, roots easily and shouldn't be too hard to locate. work of art i got through uncommon rose. they should have zonal info on the site. i think most of their roses are own root- which would be a big advantage for you.

o

• Posted by Maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 24, 04 at 20:39

Again, I'm not sure in your zone, but SWALK is a red mini that I've heard very good things about. Also have you considered an OGR? Just a thought as some are cane hardy with small blooms that might just work for you.

o

I highly recommend Work of Art, which I am growing with much success here in Atlanta, Georgia. It is about 7 feet tall, covered in blooms, no disease that I've noticed. I got mine from Sequoia Nursery and it's growing on its own roots, which ought to be a big plus for your colder climate. Work of Art is also thornless.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sequoia Nursery

o

Wow, Peggy that "Work of Art" that WestEnder recommended is beautiful. Decobug has a picture of it climbing on HMF. (what is so mini about a 7' climber??-is it the flower size that is mini?). I don't have any minis but was recently considering Jeanne LaJoie but opted for cl. pinkie instead. Do you already grow Jeanne LaJoie? I think I'm going to have to post a thread on this forum and ask for recommendations...

o

Yes, it is the flower size that makes it a mini. I had JL but it never climbed (I think it might've been a mislabelled Cupcake). I later heard it should be sprayed for blackspot. Maybe Work of Art would work? I still kick myself for not getting a King Tut/Laura Ford when I saw it for sale locally a few years back. A gal in my local society up north got one and hers is just the right size for what I'm looking for. Of course it isn't available locally now and I checked HMF but I didn't see an American nursery selling it. :-(

o

How's the repeat with SWALK and Rainbows End? Does climbing Rainbows End repeat as often as the bush?

o

I have both Rainbows end and Cl. rainbows End. I like the climbing variety much better! More repeat bloom and I think better disease resistance! They were both on same spray program the climber looked great! Bush was loaded with blackspot, totally defoliated! Bush is in the ground, Climber is in a 18" planter, (about 5' tall) I put in garage for the winter. It has broken dormancy and grown about another foot of pale new growth!
Lee

o

Sequoia Nursery has 18 climbing miniatures listed on their Supplemental Miniature List, in addition to the ones on their main listing.

Carol

o
If you don't like the climbing minis look up ground cover roses.

Some of them are really just vigorous minis that can be used as climbers; you can tie them up and grow them. Some are pretty hardy, too, and there are more color choices (and fragrance!)

o

I don't know that red cascade can be beaten.

o

Here is my climbing rainbow's end on my mailbox. The only problem I have with the rainbow's end is I don't like how the flowers age. They get a real ugly color. I also have S.W.A.L.K. planted last spring it looks like it's going to be a keeper.

o

Ooo! That is a lovely thing! Maybe I better consider a climbing Rainbow's End......

o

I second Work of Art. Wish mine was as large as the above Cl. Rainbow's End!!
Judith

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here