Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
really stupid question time.

Posted by birdtalker z7WA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 4, 05 at 16:39

I have 3 minis that have not done well this year. Blackspot etc, have been really bad. I was wondering if pruning them back and putting a layer of compost on the soil of the pot will keep them and help them come back over the winter. Will I end up with dead plants or perhaps live ones??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: really stupid question time.

Hi,

I'm not sure what climate you're in(how cold it gets there) but compost is kind of a fertilizer, and you dont want to be feeding them now. They have to know winter is coming. Do you have them in full 6 hr sunlight? Have you sprayed, fertilized etc? Minis are sometimes prone to blackspot. If you're not on a spray program I suggest getting some good fungicide like Bayer Advanced for roses and keep up with it. Make sure they are well watered, but I would leave them alone now besides spraying. Hope this helps! :)

Jen

o

Perhaps birdtalker means mulch? I don't know the answer though :-)

minibot

o

Yes, I am sorry if i was not clear, I had heard of mulching with compost to protect regular roses through the winter. Since we have pretty mild winters, we have never had to mulch, but if you cut all the plant down, wouldn't it be a good idea to mulch to keep the plants alive and in hibernation til spring.

o

Do not prune them back now. Wait until spring. Really. For the blackspot, you have to treat them with a fungicide as Jen noted, you can still use those now, and you may want to do so. Other folks use what is called a "dormant spray", try searching for "dormant" in this forum or the Roses Forum or Antique Roses Forum (same treatment would apply for minis). I don't winter protect, but some folks do protect those in pots. "Mulching" with compost may not be a good idea, you could leave yourself open to canker (another fungal disease).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here