Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hdchan

protecting minis while they grow

hdchan
18 years ago

I planted the 14 minis that I got earlier this year in my east bed, hoping that in time, they will flourish and make a nice border. However, this little stem looking plants are getting a a lot of abuse, because no one sees them. Is there something anyone could recommend to protect these babes through the winter and while they grow next spring? I was thinking of asking DH to make some tiny can size guards with chicken coop fencing... would that work?

Thanks,

Holly

Comments (6)

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

Hi Holly,

Minis are very resilient. There's no need to get fancy with winter protection. I put a thick layer of mulch over mine and forget them. They are very hardy. In Spring prune out any dead canes, fertilize well & thereafter every month until end of August. You say you have them on the east side...they may not get enough sun here. They might not bloom much-minis love full sun. Like many roses, they do respond to some pampering. Maybe put some compost over them. You may have to spray every few weeks too. Good luck!

Jen

• diggerdave
    18 years ago

I thought you meant protect them from being trampled. I use tomato cages to protect small minis in high traffic areas until they are large enough to be be noticed. I usually cut them off and make 2 of each cage so they aren't too tall. Keeps the dogs (ok, and me) from stomping on them.

• hdchan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Jen... I guess that I should explain a bit better... the border is along a sidewalk, and the problem is that they are being trampled on, because they are currently so small, no one notices them. My kids have finally gotten the hint, after my continuous shreeking, but I'm trying my best to hold my tongue with visitors (tonight, I bit my tongue HARD when a trick or treater walked up and literally stomped on one of these tiny things... while I was spraying, no less). Aside from putting up a sign or making protective cylinders out of the fencing, I don't know what else to do to keep them from being stepped on.

But thank you, Jen, for the advice on wintering them. I wondered if I should prune my little twigs now or wait until spring!

Holly

• hdchan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

DAVE!!! You snuck in on me! Yep, that is exactly what I am meaning! So okay, tomato cages cut in two will work, eh? Thanks, bud!!!

Holly

• diggerdave
    18 years ago

I should have mentioned... our cages are 3 feet tall. The dogs tend to knock them over when I leave them that tall. Cut in half and with 6 inches pushed in the ground.... they are only about a foot tall. Works out better for us... except when I trip on one. Maybe I should flag them too, LOL.

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

Sorry Holly, I thought you meant they were getting neglected...too many sleepless nights for me :) Hi Dave! Good to see you again! Tomato cages are a great idea. I cant think of anything else that would work better.

Jen

Sponsored