Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do with mini rose in winter?

Posted by bungalow975 none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 20:43

I received a beautiful miniature rose plant (Mandarin Sunblaze-Meidarin PP#13291 is what the tag says) for Mother's Day. It has done beautifully all summer on my deck, and has grown quite a bit. It is now about two feet tall and covered with blooms. I wasn't really thinking ahead about overwintering, and wonder what to do with the plant now. The options I am considering are: plant it in the ground (too late, since it's October and I live in northeast Iowa?), keep it indoors in a sunny, south-facing window, or put it in either a cool basement or unheated (unattached) garage. Which option would be best for the plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do with mini rose in winter?

I have a friend who lives in N.W Iowa and grows a lot of roses in pots. He puts his in the basement and waters them about once a month. During the winter his basement stays about 38 to 40 and is dark most of the time.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 18:07

Do not bring it inside. It will most likely die if you do. The basement is OK if it's as cold as Ken's but if not don't try it. In anything warmer than that it will try to keep growing with inadequate light and humidity and will exhaust itself and die.

I don't know when your ground would freeze but if it's still several weeks away and you want to plant it do so. The ground is always the best place to winter roses. When you plant it situate it so it is just a little bit lower in the ground than it is in the pot and try to keep that existing root ball in tact as much as possible. The less you disturb the roots the better.

Otherwise put it in the garage, on a shelf or up off the floor. Water some every month all winter, even if it looks frozen, water it some anyway.

o

Thank you both for your responses. I think I will put the plant in my garage. My basement is cool, but not cold, and I am a little daunted at the prospect of planting it outdoors now. I will plant it in the ground in the spring. Am I correct in assuming that I should not cut the plant back at all until spring? Thank you again for your advice.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 19:55

Yes, you are correct. You want to keep as much cane length as possible. It has stored energy in those canes that it will need come spring. You will lose some of it to winter die back anyway so you want to keep all you can.

o

I had some potted roses that I dug a hole and put the pot into thew ground. I then covered the plant with mulch the same as I do for all my roses. It will be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here