Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robertl_gw

Repotting Miniature roses

robertl
16 years ago

My wife and I have found many of those mini roses at the grocery store irresistible. We know little about them, but some are doing pretty well. We are moving next summer and would like to take 4 or 5 rose bushes that we have planted with us. They have only been in the ground for 6 months or a year. Some we planted last summer and some this. We would like to repot them now that fall is coming on so that we can take them with us when we leave.

My question is can we repot them and what size pot should we use? None of them is over 2 feet tall. Is is best to use a pot that drains or can I use some of these pots that are "water from the bottom?" Should I trim back the roots or try and get a pot big enough for the root ball?

Thanks for your help

Comment (1)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Get pots large enough for the root ball. With own-root plants especially, it is important to get as much as possible. It will help with transplanting later on. 5-gallon nursery pots should be fine, larger if you can get them. If you want something more decorative, use plastic terra cotta-looking pots. 12" - 14" in diameter should be large enough. Hole in bottom, do not leave on the dish, the pots need to drain. Some of the plastic pots come with the saucers atteched, pop them off and use them for something else. Water them very well the day before digging them up and then water them well after potting them. They might droop a bit after potting, this is transplant shock and happens. Just don't let them dry out or get too wet. Good luck!

Sponsored