Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jont1

Fairhope mini finally, Heather Sproul still waiting...

jont1
16 years ago

My two year old Fairhope has just in the past couple of weeks decided to establish herself and put on some real basals instead of these wimpy little weakling canes and I am so excited. I have three big,strong, and tall basals that are sporting several buds each. I was told she would take two or three years to really begin to take hold and establish and they were certainly correct.

Now, I am in hopes that my two Heather Sproul bushes will do the same. They are still in the little stage with no real strong basal growth yet. What is your experience with Heather Sproul establishing itself in your garden.

John

Comments (7)

• Jeannie Cochell
    16 years ago

Heather Sproul didn't establish herself, I'm afraid. She was a wimp when she arrived and revived long enough to warrant being planted. Once in the ground, though, she didn't live through a Phoenix summer. Fairhope lasted several years but he got crowded out. Since the bloom cycle was sporadic, I didn't bother replacing it. In all fairness, though, Fairhope was one tough bush.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    16 years ago

Heather Sproul was new for me this spring and at the end of this growing season her growth has been less then vigorous with no new strong basils at all. The few blooms she had were of nice form (no stems however). This isn't a fault, but from the pictures I thought she would be a medium rose pink color but she has a touch more of coral in her pink then what I expected. Will see what next year brings if she makes it over winter. Hard to judge a rose on so few blooms.

• laura1
    16 years ago

I've had 2 Heather Sproul's for over a year...a year of neglect and a move. I was battling with those nasty chili thrips and that didn't help. Since moving I've been on top of my spray program and fertilizer and Heather has rewarded me. No strong basals but lots of blooms...some actually had a stem. I like the med. clear pink color. I'm still holding out some hope for this one.

• peter_rabbit
    16 years ago

Fairhope and Heather Sproul grow so much better on fortuniana.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    16 years ago

Don't feel bad I've had Fairhope for years. I get a few good blooms, but the bush is puny. I know some folks in the Chicago area that have it grow like a weed.

• julie22
    16 years ago

I don't have Heather Sproul but I do have Fairhope. I hesitated on planting Fairhope because of reports that it is tender in zone 6. And for me in zone 6, it didn't do well but did survive.

Now in zone 6B, Fairhope still took a good three years to establish but now that is it, it is still a smallish bush but is going strong and blooming better each year.

Now, I'm struggling with Lovely Lorri. I have two of these are they are staying very small. I'm thinking of transplanting them since they don't seem happy where they are. This is another plant that seems to need constant feeding to stay nice.

Maybe I should move both Lovely Lorri's and Fairhope to another part of the garden. I have a new area coming open this spring for a bunch more minis.

• jont1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I posted earlier that Palatine is now offering mini's budded on multiflora rootstock which is just great!!!
    Now, I just wish they could expand their stock to include some of these newer exhibition type mini's like Fairhope, Heather Sproul, Bee's Knee's,Robin Alonso , etc.....I am sure that budding them on rootstock would make for some exceptional growing and blooming mini/mini-flora's.
    I guess time will have to tell on this one.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County