Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Question About Soil For Planting Minis

I have ordered several minis. They came in bands, are healthy but look a little delicate. I want to plant them in just the right mix. Can anyone recommnend a soil mix to plant mini bands in for maximum growth? Thanks!

Judith

Comments (2)

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

It you are going to let them grow on for a while in larger pots, ie 1 or 2 gal size then I would recommed any good potting mix. I have used M Grow potting mix and the Wal-Mart Expert potting soil with great success. In fact I really cannot tell the two apart (It makes me think Scotts makes the Wal-Mart brand and M Grow).

If you are planting them straight into the ground any good garden soil mixed with you native soil will work. I use Wal-Mart Expert garden soil.

• wesley_butterflies
    14 years ago

Yep Scotts is now the owner of Miricle Grow.
    I compost for a much better and less expensive organic soil the recipe for rose soil goes as follows use as a refferance there are many of em:

three shovel fulls of a ready compost
    *1 shovel full of dehydrated cow manuah *1 cup of bone meal *1 cup of blood meal *2 cups of perlite mix well in a five gallon bucket or wheel barrel (* these products are also found at a feed and supply store for less than wall mart excuse the missing picture there very much the same as a bag just less on the wallet in comparison to wal mart.

Start em in 1 or 2 gallon pots : I noted your in Texas so leaving them out for a while isn't going to hurt water and very lightly fertilize with rose tone ( also at the feed store still cheaper than wal mart and includes a pretty pic )

While your at the fed store ask about wood pellets for kitty litter and how much it will cost then go to wall mart and look at there clay perfumed scented non composting kitty litter if you have a cat pick up the wood pellets
    then you can go to walmart and look at there clay litters your going to say dayummm (Keep in mind they told you they sell for less )
    As indicated I am not very fond of the BIG GUY stores honestly there poorly trained staff lacks any real knowledge in any dept. never mind roses These big stores took big punches at the little guy from time to time one of them lil guys will just jab back

google search a feed and suply store in your area chances are there not much furthure away than them other guys

hopefully you don't need pots rince well the old ones with hot water for perlite you may need to go to a garden center for it is getting very rare to find this time of year if you need pots ask the garden center for some

I am not even sure on Texas winters but bring em in at temps less than 45 to prevent from freeze dont let em get dry and give em as much air as you can

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH