Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pappu_gw

Glowing Amber & Hilde

pappu
18 years ago

I am planning for a hedge of minis about 18 feet long...I want to alternate Hilde with Glowing Amber...are the growth habit and height of these two compatible? If they are different sized and different habits(upright vs bushy), I'd rather plant one variety...if you can post bush shots of both, that would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• arkroselady
    18 years ago

For me in zone 7, Hilde is pretty short. Glowing Amber is probably twice that height. My Hilde is right next to Merlot and the two are about the same size. You can look up Merlot and see if you like it.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    18 years ago

Ditto on my 3 year old Hilde being short too. Maybe 18 inches. Magic Carousel has similar coloration to Hilde but makes a taller bush. An oldie but a goldie, it's repeat is much quicker then Hilde.

• BeeVee
    18 years ago

You can do something I did and I never thought it was going to look beautiful. I bought from Noreast, one of each of their mini's (I waited for their free shipping specials), so I ended up with all the colors available and planted them all in a row. They look so beautiful with all the different colors that people will stop by and just stare at the mini's.
    Now I am waiting for their 2006 updated catalog.

• Leemac_z5_Ma
    18 years ago

Glowing Amber is one of my most favorite minis! I have 4 or 5 of them! ( I have underplanted my hybrid tea beds with minis!) Glowing Amber is a very generous bloomer! Good disease resistance, And does well at shows! Mt bushes are close to 3' high. A friend just gave me Hilde this fall, Lovely blooms, too soon to tell about height.
    Lee

• cathy__7bwa
    18 years ago

Hilde, (rasberry/white) has been on the shorter side for me as well, with Glowing Amber (golden yellow and red) being 2ft tall. You might want to try a yellow or red??? A nice red that has always done well for me is Miss Flippins. Or one of Glowing Amber's sisters or was it a sport??? (it is related somehow but my mind can't remember at the moment:( )anyway the growth habit is about the same, is Amber Star?? George Mander has a new one of Glowing Amber's sisters or sports coming out soon too, Ingrid. Anyway, just some ideas?? good luck, Cathy :)

• george_mander
    18 years ago

Hello Cathy,
    You mentioned 'Amber Star' which is an excellent choice to go with ÂGlowing AmberÂ. It has the same height, the same vigour, but very different colour alright. It is a sport of ÂGlowing Amber and not a sister seedling.

You mentioned my rose ÂIngrid which is a Mini-Flora & will be introduced in the US in 2006. It has the identical colour as ÂGlowing Amber but will be a bit taller and has larger blooms. ÂIngrid is a half sister of ÂGlowing AmberÂ, or step sister as it has the same pollen parent.

Check out photos of all three roses I mentioned on HelpMeFind (HMF)
    Glowing Amber and Ingrid you will find at the "Mander Roses" at HMF. See link below. For 'Amber Star' you'll have to search at HMF.

George Mander

Here is a link that might be useful: Mander roses at HMF

• cathy__7bwa
    18 years ago

Thanks George for clearing sports/sister seedlings up :)
    Is hard for me to remember sometimes on such things :) I knew Glowing Amber had sports and sister seedlings as well so didn't want to give wrong info. So is Rubies n' Pearl's a sister seedling as well?? I am pretty sure R n'P came first in my garden before Glowing Amber? Then I got Amber Star later. Sure are a nice additions to any garden! :)
    Cathy

• george_mander
    18 years ago

Hello again Cathy,
    Have to clear up your Rubies 'n Pearls question.
    Yes, R 'n P came first in 1992 and is the "pollen parent" of 'Glowing Amber' and all my other minis starting with 'Golden Beryl' in 1995.

As I mentioned in the other follow up above, my latest US introduction for 2006 is the Mini-Flora 'Ingrid' (named after my wife) with the identical bicolour as Glowing Amber. It also has R 'n P as pollen parent and 'Ingrid' inherited the bicolour from it I am sure. Read the "Ingrid" story on HelpMeFind (HMF) and you will learn more about it. Will anounce the name of the US mini grower in mid Nov. Check out all the photos on HMF.
    George

Here is a link that might be useful: Mini-Flora 'Ingrid' on HMF

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner