Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jumari_gw

drowned mini - what to do?

jumari
18 years ago

Newly transplanted minis drowned by sudden shower - what to do?

Background: My BF sent me a mini from a local florist Valentine's Day of this year ('05). I hadn't found this forum yet and transplanted the whole root-bound mess into a larger pot. (Wish I had seen the "how to save your mini" post sooner!)Two plants did well and even bloomed, three survived but that's about it, and I lost one.

Before moving them inside for the winter I separated and repotted them. I watered them only slightly and left them in the shade about 48 hrs. Set them out for some end of season sunshine and we got a thunderstorm. Completely soaked the plants. Temps dropped and I moved them inside.

Now each plant has lost about half it's leaves (yellowed and then dropped off). Should I prune them all back or just remove the yellow leaves and hope for the best? The plants that bloomed did so about a week before I transplanted so i don't know if this would be a good time to prune anyway?

My BF teases me about letting my "love" plants die - please help me prove him wrong!

Comments (4)

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

Hi,

Well, if you could I'd put those babies in the ground. Roses, even minis, are not houseplants. They need the strongest sun possible to grow, and have a good chance of getting spider mites indoors. They may not ever do much inside. Dont prune now, you'll encourage new growth, just pick off the yellow leaves. All that water doesnt hurt roses. But if you have an available space outdoors get them planted very soon and they will thank you.

Jen

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

How low did your temps get? I think it's a touch too early to bring them inside. What is your forecast for the week? Take them outside and let them dry out. And as Jen said, don't prune and don't fertilize. If it hasn't started freezing for days on end, they will be OK outside.

• subrosa
    18 years ago

"...I separated and repotted them. I watered them only slightly..."
    Assuming your new pots have adequate drainage, I would water them until it runs out the bottom. In fact, I would set them in a saucer for a 1/2 hour to make sure the water isn't just running through but has soaked the soil. The heavy rain wouldn't hurt them at all. How you winter them is better answered by someone in your climate zone.

• oldroser
    18 years ago

It's normal for them to drop their leaves when moved inside. Just an adjustment to less light, drier atmosphere. If they are in a sunny window, they should leaf out again shortly. Keep an eye out for spider mite and don't let them dry out.
    Minis are not easy house plants because they require a lot of light and are prone to spider mite. A good idea to take them to the kitchen sink at least once a week and spray the underside of the leaves with cold water. I put a paper towel over the top of the dirt and invert the pot so as to be able to drench the under side of the plant.
    Also keep an eye out for aphids which can be controlled with soapy water. Indoors black spot and such are usually not a problem. If they get enough sun, you should get new buds and blooms, especially after the days start getting longer.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?