Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_in_new_orleans

Favorite red minis, and Why?

Reds get asked about and discussed a lot on the main Roses forum, but I just searched the mini forum and saw it hasn't been asked in a while. So here' my version of the question:

What is your favorite red mini or mini-flora (or 2 or 3) and why? Could everyone also please list which red minis you have experience with, too, so we can know what you're comparing? When people talk about something being "the Best" whatever-colored rose, I wonder "in comparison to what?"

Let's see, for me, I have yet to find the "perfect" red, but at the moment I really favor Memphis Magic (mf) for it's deep, nearly black color, velvety look and long-lasting exhibition form. Miss Flippins (mini) is way up there too. Much lighter, but terrific as a cut rose. It blooms very consistently and is easy care in my region. Third would probably be Caliente for its prolific, nearly constant blooming of superior form, true red blooms. Healthy and easy. It's only down side is that the color "blues" and dulls within a few days.

Honorable mention: Salute, for it's super-rich red coloring and prolific blooming. Healthy, and really good exhibition form. The reason I place it behind the other three is that the fully-open blooms don't have as many petals as I like; not quite semi-double, but barely double. It's a true mini, smaller than the other three, and the wait between bloom cycles is a little longer.

Other reds I grow or have grown:

Merlot, Starina, Fame Parade, Ralph Moore, Red Alert, Jerry-O, Captivation, Red Scentsation.

Comments (7)

• colorado_kid
    16 years ago

My favorite red miniature roses are: Harm Saville and Salute. They both give me all kinds of blooms and are super hardy here. Another awesome mini is Ooo! Baby!, she is a bit more on the dark pink side but an awesome bloomer and also extremely hardy here.

Stan the Roseman

• Jeannie Cochell
    16 years ago

I have to pick a favorite?

I've got Memphis Magic (weird coloring ranges from nearly black to hot pink in summer), Miss Flippins (mildew magnet), Merlot, Shenandoah, Ricky Hendrick, Trickster, Harm Saville, Red Beauty, Old Glory, Red Scentsation, Jerry-O (this is red?), Just For You (looks pink to me), Spring Fling and Caliente. Probably have more but can't remember right now.

Current favorites are Trickster, Shenandoah & Caliente. Miss Flippins is a great rose but constantly battling the powdery mildew gets really old. Trickster is putting out some awesome bi-color blooms right now and Shenandoah is putting out some heavy-duty petals. Harm Saville looks so much like the Black Cherry floribunda right behind it that it's tough to tell which bloom you're looking at.

Can never have enough reds....

• julie22
    16 years ago

Humm...Red minis/miniflora. I really don't seem to have many of those.

Two favorites are Liberty Bell and Sassy Cindy, both have fine vase life, both are miniflora and the blooms are rather large. Liberty Bell is an older rose and blooms better, but Sassy Cindy is very promising and I'm thinking will outdo Liberty Bell when it gets a little fuller. Sassy Cindy, so far, also seems a little stronger in my garden.

I often take roses into work with me, to decorate my cubby and to give as gifts. The men I work with often ask me to bring them in. I've been taking Liberty Bell in this year and presenting them to the men, who put each bloom in cups and keep them at their cubbies for a week or more. They really seem to like the red roses.

I also have Montana. It's a nice plant and blooms well, but it just doesn't have the WOW factor that Liberty Bell and Sassy Cindy have.

Soroptimist International

Another red blend that I have that has won me awards in photography as well as being a strong, good rose is the miniflora, Soroptimist International. Another rose with that WOW factor that I like so much.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening and Other Stuff

• mike_in_new_orleans
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Julie, nice to hear your compliments of Liberty Bell, because I just got that one a couple months ago. It hasn't produced for me yet but is growing. So I'm looking forward to it. Some folks that live across town from me have it; I saw it in their garden last May, and it was stunningly beautiful. Haven't heard of Sassy Cindy. I'll have to check that one out. Nice pic of Sor.Int'l. Good show rose. For me it looks fantastic in winter, but in summer the harsh sun seems to make the colors too garish; they don't blend as nicely.

Moroseaz, sorry to hear about the Powdery Mildew problems. I seldom see any of that here, just a touch in spring and fall. Miss Flippins seems to really like the Gulf Coast climate.

Stan, about Salute. It is a very good rose for me too; must my picky complaint about the fully open blooms not having enough petals. But I guess the other issue is it blooms mostly in short-stemmed clusters, for me at least. It looks good in the garden but is hard to cut for vases. Very easy-care rose, though, and I haven't seen richer red color on any other rose.

Mike

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    16 years ago

Memphis King - nice deep red mini-flora and lasts a long time!

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    16 years ago

I have Dr.Troy Garrett. The first time I showed this rose I won the Grand Champion at the Illinois State Fair. Not bad for the first time! I also have Memphis King and Memphis Magic, Liberty Bell, Ricky Hendrick, Calente, Bonfire,and Miss Flippins

• peter_rabbit
    16 years ago

Robin Alonso - a really superb red miniflora. Very beautiful.

Caliente - a small version of Robin Alonso. Both are prolific.

Sponsored