Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to dormant mini roses in zone 2b Saskatchewan

Posted by danesnpits 2b (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 2:05

Hi there! I bought these beautiful mini's from walmart..ya I know, bad idea, but they were 3 bucks. They have been growing indoors under metal halides and blooming like nuts! Now that it's middle of Nov, I believe I am to give them a rest, and try again in the spring for blooming. I can not plant them outdoors like the internet says, they will die here when it gets to -40 Celsius. So I hear people say in a garage or somewhere that isn't heated. Well, my garage is heated unfortunately, but could I put them outside in their pots with blankets in the garden shed? Or should I put them in the porch that is a little below room temperature to what they are used to? I also heard refrigerate them, but I have no extra room there either. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to dormant mini roses in zone 2b Saskatchewan

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 23:43

Wow, you are very brave, Danesnpits! I do know someone in zone 3 in Alaska that winters her roses by digging a trench in the ground and completely burying her roses.

Are these roses under lights inside and doing well? If so then there is no need to give them a rest. Most roses will grow year round with out any problem if they have the right conditions, light, water and nutrients.

But if you still wish to let them go dormant the shed would probably be the best place. Moving them to a room that is only slightly cooler won't slow them down much. The problem is if the light and humidity aren't right, and they're still trying to grow and bloom, it could be worse for them. The temperatures will still be warm enough that they'll be struggling to grow without an adequate way to produce food.

It really sounds to me that what ever you are doing now is making them happy and you should just continue it.

o
RE: How to dormant mini roses in zone 2b Saskatchewan

Hi Seil! Thanks so much for the reply. I have been growing them under metal hallides, I thinking 400 Watt's. I am not sure as my bf got them from when he built the target store here. They are big and you can see the light they emit all the way down the block. I can't even look at them without being blinded LOL. But boy do they do the trick for alot of my plants. I got my oleander next to the and plan to grow some orchids under them. We made sure the foot candles was far enough away to ensure no scortching of leaves and blooms. I have run these things for about 4 months now and all sorts of things are sprouting up, even my foxtail fern, that i had no idea flowers, formed little white buds. I am on the look out now for a fridge on kijiji but so far no luck. I do want to dormant them, and let them rest but I supposed just to keep them going as you said would be better for them so that they don't struggle. Thanks for the advice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here