Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardennatlanta

Please comment on these minis

gardennatlanta
13 years ago

Last year I got Overnight Scentsation and am VERY pleased with it.

I am considering some of the other "Scentsations" and wonder if they perform as well as Overnight Scentscation.

If you grow the following, would you please comment on bloom frequency, fragrance, black spot, mature size and over all garden performance?

Seattle Scentsation

Moonlight Scentsation

Scentsational

I'm also considering Apricot Twist.

Thank you. Jeff

Comments (4)

• Jeannie Cochell
    13 years ago

I've grown Moonlight, Red and Scentsational for several years then added Overnight last year and added Seattle a few weeks ago. Moonlight has a tendency towards powdery mildew and with the lavender tint to the flowers, it really does look kinda moonlight-y, lol. The fragrance is OGR-heavy. Scentsational has been an awesome performer for me. With the high centers, I can often enter it in a local rose show in a challenge class and get a ribbon.

Red Scentsation seems the least hardy in my climate but still puts out a lot of bloom. So far the four I've been growing have been on the prolific side. We don't have blackspot in this area, nor extended frost dates. I do not spray my garden for pests nor disease.

Considered Apricot Twist but already had Jean Keannelly (sp), Michael Cholet, Pam Tillis and just didn't need another apricot right then.

• fragrantgarden99
    13 years ago

Hello moroseaz:

I am considering red Scentsation and am wondering if you can tell me if the fragrance is as strong as overnight scensation, which was fabulous.

Also, what does OGR-heavy mean? I am also considering moomlight scentsation but sounds like I shouldn't, huh?

Thanks so much,
    FG

• Jeannie Cochell
    13 years ago

OGR-heavy translates to heavily reminiscent of an Old Garden Rose.... not a bad thing, IMO, when you're talking scent in a mini/miniflora. The scent is absolutely wonderful.

Red Scentsation has a great scent but, to my nose, is the lightest scent of the series.

There aren't a lot of minis/minifloras with scent and even fewer red ones. You expect scent from a mauve, white or yellow.

Over the years I've grown a lot of minis and found that I could part with several and not miss them. A couple years ago, my Trickster died with no warning and that one I really do miss. Red & white, fragrant, gorgeous in holiday arrangements. I would miss any of my Scentsation series. All are fragrant and the four I've been growing have been excellent repeat bloomers. I just added another Red and Moonlight because I enjoy them so much.

• gardennatlanta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Moroseaz:

I really appreciate hearing your experience. Thank you very much. I'm looking forward to the arrival of my new minis in March.

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations