Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering a PatioHit in the pot, in the ground

Posted by cincy_city_garden Oh z6a (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 07 at 10:38

Okay, I fell for one of the Poulsen Patio Hit roses at the grocery store. It's basically 4 rooted cuttings in a 6 inch pot. I know they're not happy inside so I'd like to bury it pot and all in a raised bed to overwinter, then separate the plants and plant them out in the spring.

So, my questions: Can I wait until the current glorious flush is over, then put it in the ground, will it be too late? Will it survive? Or should I just try to nurse it through till the spring?

Thanks

Eric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering a PatioHit in the pot, in the ground

• Posted by raee zone 5-6 OH (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 18, 07 at 0:22

I was thinking about buying one also but worried that I couldn't successfully overwinter it. I hope someone can tell us how to do it.

All my in-ground roses are blooming beautifully right now; I fear for them since full freezing winter could hit any day & they are nowhere near dormant.

o

Eric, you might want to ask over on the main Roses Forum. I'm in a warmer zone. A friend buried some plants up to the top of the pot, and then covered the tops with pine branches (I think it was pine, could hav been mulch). She was successful, but I don't want to steer you wrong. Folks from your area who post on the main forum can give more guidance.

o

Hi Diane,

I went ahead and put it in the raised bed. The top of the pot is about 3 inches below the surface. I'm just going to leave the top exposed and see what happens. The rose was 9.99, so if it doesn't make it, not a huge deal. I'll have to report back in the spring!

Eric

o

Mulch it. Either leaves (but not maple or anything that gets soggy), pine needles or shredded bark. You need to keep it from frost heaving and also to keep the temperature as uniform as possible and mulch should do both.

o

I bought some patiohit roses for my daughter and grandbaby back on April 3rd. We got them home and they were doing great and then they started dying. One plant is completely brown and the others blooms all died but there are still leaves. I don't know what to do, I don't want them to die. Can anyone help me bring them back to life? Any ideas and hints will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

o

Are they outside or inside. They really need to be outside to thrirve. And if they have not been repotted in to larger pots that needs to be done as well and remeber there are usually a few rose plants in each pot. There is a great thread here on the mini forum on how to save a grocery store rose. It is really good and many people have saved patiohit roses.

o

I bought a beautiful Patiohit Mini Rose. Fell in love with the red roses, anyway, I have it inside but after a week I notice that theres a lot of yellow leaves. What does this mean? Should I leave it outside, and how should I take care of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here