Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woaini1116

Questions about minis

woaini1116
18 years ago

Hi everyone!

I just got a mini about 5 days ago and it doesn't seem to be doing as well as when I got it. Many leaves have turned yellowish and they drop easily and some of the flowers/buds don't even open all the way before dropping. The few buds that I have now seem to be drying up. I thought that I had overwatered it since the soil was always very moist. Am I wrong about this? Some of the stems aren't hard and seem to be drooping. I also see new things forming on the stems and newer little leaves. I was wondering if it is normal for them to lose all their leaves after buying and regrowing, since they have to get adusted to the newer environment?

Comments (10)

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

Hi there,

I am hoping you planted this one in the ground. Roses are not good houseplants at all. They need more sunlight to grow well. Anyway, it's normal especially this time of year for roses leaves to yellow and fall. You may have planted it a little late, but it will survive: minis are very very hardy. I wouldnt be watering at all right now, I usually stop watering beginning of Oct, maybe a week later in your zone 6. The new leaves are a good sign-just leave it alone, dont fertilize, and pamper it in Spring with good compost and fertilizer. It will bounce right back. Good Luck! :)

Jen

• woaini1116
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I can't really plant it in the ground since I live in an apt complex. I got the mini as an early birthday gift, and I would really like to keep it healthy. Is there any way I could keep it alive during the winter?

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

I wish I had better news for you, but roses do not like to be kept inside. They get spider mites very easily and are hard to keep off the plants. Even in the sunniest window they struggle. I guess its worth a shot though. Cut it down to almost nothing and let it grow back. Fertilize in pot, do not overwater and cross your fingers. If you have a friend or family member you see often, you could plant it in their garden if they dont mind if you have trouble with it. I do hope it works out!

Jen

• woaini1116
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello, I still would like to know if i overwatered it or not? I'm worried. Also, the newer baby leaves seem to be yellowish. That's not normal is it?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

Yes, it is overwatered and it will not get enough light in your apartment. Do not fertilize it now, it is already stressed. The change from the greenhouse to the market to your house has stressed the plant, and they sometimes do lose all of their leaves in the move. Mostly due to not enough sunlight. Leave as many leaves that remain on the plant. I would cut anything off at this time, unless it goes brown and dry.

Take at look at this thread it might help: How to save a potted gift rose

• lilamy
    18 years ago

I have had a mini rose in the house since Thanksgiving now and it is still doing well. It isn't as good as I would expect it to be, but I knew it would be a matter of trying my best to keep it alive until I can plant it in Spring. I put the rose on top of a bowl filled with marbles and I rinse and fill the dish every day with HOT water to provide humidity for the plant. I also mist it several times a day. I was rinsing it once a week under the faucet for spider mites, but got the danged things anyway. I am now tilting the plant in it's side once a day (using plastic to keep the soil in)and rinse the leaves like crazy. Yes, this is a pain, but it is paying off so far. I have the plant settled in a southern window and also took a 10 gallon aquarium light and replaced the incandescant bulbs with the mini spiral flourescents for additional lighting. The leaves are still green for now and I have buds opening even this morning. At this point I know I am putting a ton of effort into something that could crash and die at any moment. Like you, my rose was a gift and I am trying desperately to save it. Okay...6 weeks down and only how many more until April 15??? Aaack!

-Amy

• lefty317
    18 years ago

since you can't plant it at your apt., how about the possibility of a container or hanging basket for it....

• rommy
    18 years ago

Hi! I am no expert by any means; but I have a miniature rose I received summer before last. I have kept it outside in the same small pot ever since. I lost two the original winter after I received it and thought the whole plant was lost. Three of the plants survived and I kept them in the same pot in the outside sitting area and they bloomed repeatedly. I moved them onto my covered front porch as frost began to approach and they are doing fine. I am in NC so I don't know if the colder climate in PA would be the same for you; I plan to plant them in the ground in the spring. I wish you the best with yours.

• shadygarden_CO
    18 years ago

Diane, thanks for the thread How to Save a Potted Rose. It was a great help to me in trying to save a potted rose I received by mail for Christmas. I have it under fluorescent lights now (a desk lamp) and am immersing the pot in water every three or four days and it is doing great -- so far. I guess later I may divide it -- there are four plants in this pot -- according to the instructions in that thread, and probably need to fertilize it soon also. Thanks again for all the help.

• shadygarden_CO
    18 years ago

I'm back again. I repotted my gift mini rose about 5 or 6 days ago; divided it successfully into four different pots, according to the instructions on How to Save a Potted Gift Rose and they were doing fine, although the bloom on one hasn't really opened (no other blooms). Now I noticed that some of the leaves on at least two of the plants are getting dried up.

I haven't fertilized because there was fertilizer in the potting soil I used. I am keeping them in the sun as much as possible and also putting them under a fluorescent light in the evenings. I don't have a lot of sun in my one room that faces south. Any advice would be helpful.

By the way, last year in about March, I bought two mini roses and kept them alive until June when I successfully planted them outdoors.

Thanks in advance,
    Shady Garden

Sponsored