Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trabuff

Why can't a Mini Parade Rose be grown indoors?

trabuff
17 years ago

Hey There!

I just was givin a Mini Parade Rose. I was looking at a lot of the postings on how to take care of this plant. I have found that many of you have said, that they don't do well indoors. Why is this? I live in a townhouse and won't be able to plant outside. Can I keep it inside forever? How do you prune this plant? I just don't know how to take care of it. There were a few leaves that turned yellow but not many.There are a lot of blooms right now. There are 4 plants together in the pot. I have it in direct sunlight in the morning and then indirect in the afternoon. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (17)

• jpw_chi
    17 years ago

I'm one of the folks who posted something (at least I did eons ago) about the problems with growing parade roses. I did get them to grow indoors -- one reached over 3 feet tall. Unfortunately, I gave up because of the problems that I had with pest and disease issues -- recurring onslaughts of spider mites, black spot, rust and powdery mildew.

I think a lot had to do with the environment. The house is fairly dry and even with a full southern exposure, I'm not sure that the plants had as much sun as they would have liked.

Ultimately, the constant need to use chemical sprays for houseplants that I hate using indoors (particularly when you can't leave the windows open) just to keep five green(ish) leaves on a very tall set of green twigs far outweighed the benefits. They are, after all, basically $5 plants, and the chemicals cost much more than that over time.

Incidentally, this isn't necessarily a knock against Parade Roses as uniquely susceptible to diseases. I've kept other varieties over-winter in the house and faced similar pest and disease issues, although the Parade roses might have been a little weaker.

If you don't overwater and repot when necessary, they will survive indoors. I hope that you don't have the same kind of pest/disease issues that I've had in the past. Still, who knows? Your mileage may vary.

Good luck.

• petaloid
    17 years ago

Those Parade roses are sold as temporary, disposable table decorations, not expecting customers to cultivate them long-term. The growers root a few cuttings for each pot in some kind of spongy medium, get them blooming inside a greenhouse and ship them out for sale.

But ... the good news is you can have success with them, as others have stated.

There is no way, in my opinion, for them to get enough natural sunlight indoors to thrive and rebloom. An indoor grow-light with the correct spectrum for plants is needed. I know someone who grows minis under grow-lights in his basement all winter and they bloom well.

They are certainly overcrowded in the pot you got them in. Gently repot them in good quality potting soil into a larger container.

By the way, I have had good results growing three colors of Parade roses outdoors, both in pots and in the ground. They seem to thrive in our mild climate here, with large, long-lasting blooms.

Be very sparing with fertilizer on potted mini roses -- water well first and only use half the strength of the package directions. Best of luck!

• laura1
    17 years ago

I agree with everything everyone has said but just want to add to what jpw said about the bugs. There aren't any predators inside so the bad guys take over. Even trying to grow roses in a sunny screened in area amounts to the same thing...no predators.

If you are new to growing roses growing them inside seems like more of a challenge than you are ready to handle.

• janw
    17 years ago

I have had 100% success with all my minis parade and others by planting in the ground outdoors. would`nt do anything else with them.

• natalie4b
    17 years ago

I just purchased a miniature Parade Rose. There was no other name on a label. It is hot pink/red in color with dark green leaves. Has several hefty blooms and buds on it. Does anyone knows what variety it is?
    In spring I am planning on planting it outside. Is it a climber? How large will it grow?
    Thank you!
    ~Natalie

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

Poulsen Rosen is the hybrider of the Parade series, link to photos of the Parade series below. Not a climber, they are miniatures (which refers to the bloom size). Parade roses can grow 3' tall (sometimes more).

Here is a link that might be useful: Parade Series at Poulsen Web Site

• natalie4b
    17 years ago

diane_nj ,
    thank you for answering my Q. I am excited about my new baby rose. It is so gorgeous, hard to believe it will be 3' tall/wide one day.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    17 years ago

Thank you soooo much Diane for posting that website. I finnaly found out what my mini-Parade rose was called. It is doing really well for me. His name is "Apollo". Heres a picture of him.
    {{gwi:1213007}}

• mandi_s1
    17 years ago

I'm having *decent* luck with my parade mini indoors, but it is definitely subject to the limitations of the beast.

Watering means loosing leaves. Every time I water I loose 2-5 leaves, which is made up for by the new growth that shows up almost immediately after.

I have it in my office, and am able to combat the heat of the house with a ceiling fan.

I'm using window lighting, and have made the rookie mistake of not turning the pot. Thus my mini is rather one sided.

It's blooming, in a pot, indoors, under natural light, which is beyond cool, but the bloom quality is not what it would be were it to be outdoors. These are the first non-store natural light blooms it's produced, so I'm hoping it may just be still figuring out the process. Each one gets a little better.

While it's a little leggy, and doesn't hold the full majesty of Apollo, It's still a preteen plant at less than a year old, so come spring when I can trust not to get any more freak of nature ice coatings that just flat out don't belong in my zone, then I'm going to put my potted friend outdoors.

• priya_2007
    16 years ago

hi guys

recently i bought 1 parade rose and 2 mum flowers.........i transferrd them into new pots and i applied new potting soil cald miracle gro too.......i want to know wat type of fertilizer i hav to apply for parade roses and to mums......

• oldroser
    16 years ago

I've been growing roses - big and little, inside for many years but it is no job for the faint of heart. They are easy to grow outside but a real challenge in the house.
    For one thing, they are prone to spider mite which thrives in a hot dry environment that has none of the predators it gets ouside. You can cope with it by wrapping a paper towel around the base of the plant to keep the dirt in the pot,inverting the pot in the kitchen sink and washing off the underside with cold water - preferably using the hose attachment on the sink. It has to be done several times a week to wash those little beasties right down the drain.
    I can't do that with big roses so use Avid - not all that poisonous to people (about as bad as table salt) but quite expensive to start with - use 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of spray (a few drops to a quart squeeze sprayer). it kills mites dead but has to be repeated several times to get newly hatched mites.
    Signs of spider mite: light stipples on leaves; webs underneath leaves (bad infestation); leaves look like they are drying up.
    Roses require a lot of light. A south window is best though southwest or south east will do it. Otherwise you will need supplemental lights.
    Best to fertilize very lightly and wait until rose is growing strongly to do it. Any liqud fertiizer will do but I generally use half strength.
    Haven't had blackspot inside - leaves have to be wet for it to grow. It is possible to have mildew - best remedy is a dishwashing detergent solution - just wash the stuff off with soapy water.
    Supermarket roses are forced for bloom and are likely to drop all their leaves when in the house - so much different from greenhoue atmosphere. They will get new leaves but patience is necessary.
    A good idea to stand the pots in trays on gravel and put water in trays to increase humidity. Important not to over-water - they can't grow in water-logged soil.
    Good luck!

• ben10
    15 years ago

If there is anyone out there still reading these posts I feel compelled to share this amusing story (well, amusing in my mind that is), so 4 years ago I came upon an after Valentines day sale on mini roses (they were parade), and after reading about the pruning aspect in an earlier post I just had to laugh. So I bought them dirt cheap and they just hit the fan growing like crazy, so much so that in July they were starting to look like actual roses and not miniature....so the 4th came around and well, we were all drinking and such and I decided to give everyone a lesson on how to prune your plants, telling them not to be afraid that you were going to kill them etc. Well, I got up the next day (notice I typed day and not morning) and these poor things were looking just about as bad as my head felt....but I have to say that these thing just got better after that!!! I had them all the next winter and through the spring....it was like the severe pruning they got was the best tonic they could have ever had (probably due to stress I would think)! Then, sadly, the next summer they got invaded with spider mites and their nasty little webs, dose after dose with the spays and the little jerks slowly killed them.....I am still bitter about that! But, in the long run all I have to say is don't be afraid of your tiny roses, they are stonger than you would think, until a little insect invades that is!! I just hit another sale this year again and thought I would give them another try...we'll see.
    Oh, I had those roses in self watering ceramic pots, don't know if that matters or not?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

You don't want the self-watering pots, they hold too much moisture in the soil.

Elevate the humidity by putting the pot on top of a pebble tray that has water coming almost to the top of the pebbles. That will help with the spider mites. Also squirting the mites with water or giving the plants a weekly water bath.

• Polly143_comcast_net
    12 years ago

Hi I hv this type rose and hv done very well with it so far this winter - hv had it on my 3 season porch under a grow light and the temp @ abt 55/60 degrees fertilizing every so often - also did cuttings and they grew also. Will try to put this summer to see how they do

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

That porch is the main reason you've had success with it. Most homes do not get enough sun and the humidity is too low for roses to do well. Good luck!

• nickeeg20_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I've been growing parade roses on and off for about 18 years. What have found out is some do good indoors, some don't. It depends on the plant sometimes. I've had two side by side (both treated exactly the same) and one thrived, the other almost died before I transplanted it outside. They are tough. If you don't have a green thumb to begin with, then I don't recommend trying to grow inside.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz