Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How hardy are Mini-flora roses

Posted by dan_keil_cr Illinois z5 (dankeil_1@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Nov 7, 07 at 16:09

This is my first year growing mini-flora roses. Are these as hardy as the minis? They are on their own roots.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How hardy are Mini-flora roses

I keep hoping someone closer to your zone will answer you. My mini everything come through below freezing temps in winter just fine. They are all on own roots.
Leslie

o

I'm not quite as cold as you either, but in my experience, mini-flora roses are just like miniature roses only a little larger. I have some such as Autumn Splendor, Sassy Cindy, Hot Tamale, Peaches N Cream and a few others that spend the winter without skipping a heart beat. Then there are others such as Fair Hope and Liberty Bell that seem to suffer. I think it depends on the rose.

Some roses such as Jennifer and Always A Lady have never been able to survive a winter for me at all. This is a shame because I love both these roses. I have a hard time getting them to over winter in pots in the garage too. I do find that a lot of the mauve roses just don't over winter well -- not just the miniatures, but the larger ones too.

Liberty Bell and Fair Hope have been able to withstand the winters here with some degree of winter kill. Liberty Bell, now 4 years old, has been doing better (knock on wood). I keep Fair Hope protected from the wind with other roses but it still suffers.

My suggestion would be to visit your local rose group and ask them which ones seem stronger in your zone and choose roses that have been good for the locals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening and Other Stuff

o

Thanks that helps. I will lightly cover them just to make sure. I don't cover my minis at all. So this winter will be a learning experience for me

o

Dan, get ahold of Digger, he grows a quite a few mini floras and his are spectacular. He's in Montana, don't know what zone that is.
Les

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here