Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lefty317

fragrant mini's???

lefty317
17 years ago

hey all...

i was wondering if anyone had any recomendations for some miniatures i found room for in the borders of my rose garden. i would like them to be in the neighborhood of 18-24" tall, 25+ petals, and have some fragrance if at all possible. color is not really a concern, i can use red, white, yellow, purple, and pink in combinations of 5 to 9... thanx

chris

Comments (12)

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

I just posted one of the rose gallery that has a pretty pleasing fragrance and will get 2' tall and numerous petals called Julie Link. Leslie

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

Hi Lefty/Chris,

If you look on the NorEast site, there is a list of fragrant minis. I got all of the minis in the Scentsation family, X-Rated, and Busy Bee. The NorEast minis that I received (24 in all) are really wonderful, well established plants.

Cheers,
    Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful: NorEast Fragrant Minis

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

I have another called Winter Magic that is a soft lavender grey that looks like a grey white tinted lavender.... It will be 18+ inches tall when grown all the way and has a nice fragrance, I have several blooms now, I'd share it but my camera washes out the whites too much.... It is a nice healthy plant and has not had any disease or pest problems yet and has come through the heat of summer like a gem. Leslie

• jpw_chi
    17 years ago

My favorites for fragrance: Sweet Chariot, Hot Tamale, Norwich Sweetheart and Scentsational. I think Minnie Pearl and Incognito also had a nice fragrance.

Years ago, I remember coming across a wonderful fragrant yellow that was labeled (correctly or not) Rise'n'shine I think.

• mike_in_new_orleans
    17 years ago

Fragrance is a hard-to-nail-down commodity in roses. I know of many that are reported as fragrant by some sources but listed as having none by others. Then when people are directly asked, the same variation in responses is seen. For example, I have read and heard that, among others, Starina, Winsome, Linville, Minnie Pearl, Jean Keneally, and Hot Tomale are anywhere from "mildly" fragrant to "very" fragrant. I have, or have grown, all of the above and never detected any fragrance. Same goes for some larger roses. My wife swears roses are fragrant that I'm sure aren't. When I can smell the leaf and stem tissues but no "flower" fragrance, I don't think its just my nose. Plus, some my wife swears are fragrant are listed as having NO fragrance on Helpmefind or rose encyclopedias. So when I read or hear someone report that a given rose is quite fragrant, or has a wonderful fragrance, or whatever phrasing one chooses, I always look for a preponderence of reports to back it up.

I know, fragrance can also vary from nose to nose, from climate to climate, and season to season, even time of day.
    Having said all that disclaimer, I have to report that the scentsation series roses really have been impressively fragrant. My only first-hand knowledge of that is with Overnight Scentation, Scentsational, Moonlight Scentsation, and Seattle Scentsation. I've been increasingly curious about Red Scentsation since first seeing it on Nor-East's catalog sight. Can anyone above report specifically on Red Scentsation? I've hesitated to get it, because I already have numerous reds, including minis, and I'm afraid it might disappoint by blooms blowing very quickly or having simply blah form. Can anyone report how quickly these roses open, how well they repeat, etc.?
    Also, I too have perused the Nor-east catalog "Fragrant minis" section with great interest, wondering just how accurate I would find it. I have actually ordered Sweet Arlene (said to be very fragrant) and Caliente (reportedly "moderately" fragrant. I have them in another 2 weeks. I know also that often roses don't display their full fragrance ability until the bush has grown and established itself somewhat. So does anyone care to comment on the following Nor-East roses?
    Peach Delight, Double Gold, Dazzler, Red Scentsation, Calente, Sweet Arlene, Yantai, or any others from that catalog section I'm forgetting?

• lefty317
    Original Author
    17 years ago

mike

thanx a bunch. i appreciate and understand the disclaimer. i feel my jfk is moderately fragrant, yet i see it listed anywhere from very to light. i feel that any scent derived from my queen elizabeth is in my imagination, however many have told me that theirs have a wonderfull fragrance. how much of this can be attributed to climate, growing conditions etc, is anyone's guess.

while i realize that matching a mr. lincoln or chrysler imperial may be a difficult task for a mini, i was just hoping to get some appreciable scent.

thanx again
    chris

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

I have Red Scentsation and it's the smelliest of that series to me. It's a first year plant and is in a pot, but it bloomed continuously and scented my patio sitting area this summer (especially in the morning). I also am not too excited about reds (mine tends toward a dark magenta/red), but it's worth growing for the scent. Nor'East sent me Mountie as one of my Cracker Jack purchases, and it has a very cute form and is an attractive little true red mini. I didn't detect much scent, though.

My Peach Delight got planted in the garden and it bloomed well, also. The form and color of the blooms appeals to me. It was planted with Overnight Scentsation and Moonlight Scentsation, and it had more blooms but less scent.

• petaloid
    17 years ago

If you're going for fragrance in minis it limits your selection. I'll name a couple I like a lot, though they don't have quite as many petals as you'd like:

Purple: I like the fragrant, mauve-lilac 'Sachet'.

White: 'Gourmet Popcorn' looks like its name, is an attractive border plant and smells sweet, a bit like honey.

(P.S. -- I would imagine that late spring would be a better planting time for you, and you probably already know about winter protection for your roses.)

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Gourmet Popcorn' photos on HelpMeFind

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Chris, the rose in front with the raspberry edges has light green petals as it ages and has a nice fragrance. It is a floribunda and gets up to 24" tall and is called RainForest and I got it also from Sequoia Nursery. Sorry, not tooting it's horn exactly, it's located in my city down the street from me and I get fresh minis that way and get to wander the isles and find new ones that way also. Click on photo to enlarge it. Leslie

• lefty317
    Original Author
    17 years ago

leslie,

thank you so much, i have the perfect place for 3 of these. while i posted in the mini cataegory, a short floribunda that get's to 24" still works great.

so now, i am on a quest!!!

chris

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Cool, happy to have thrown some choices at you. Leslie

• Krista_5NY
    17 years ago

My recollection is that Amy Grant has a nice fragrance.

Sponsored