Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashbee56

Got Miniature Roses in a pot as a gift

ashbee56
9 years ago

My boyfriend just got me miniature roses as a gift. I love them and want to make sure I take care of them properly. I'm in zone 6a and I live in an apartment. Since it's the beginning of winter, I have to keep them inside. I will be moving into a house within the next couple of months so hopefully by the time spring rolls around, I will be able to plant them in my flowerbed.

It looks like there are 3-4 different plants in the small pot. Should I replant them now into individual pots or wait until spring? What do I need to do to care for them right now? They have buds and blooms so they are very much active and alive at this point.

Comments (5)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Congratulations! The hardest part is going to be keeping them alive inside for the next few months until you can get them out in the spring. Sorry to say but they really sell these little potted gift roses to be disposable. Which is a shame because they are lovely and will grow beautifully in a garden.

Roses are not house plants. The conditions inside are too dry and don't supply enough light, even in a window, to keep them happy. Because the temperatures are warm enough to keep them from going dormant they struggle to grow in too little light and too little humidity. If possible put it in a window and under a light and place a dish of water NEXT to it to up the humidity around it. Do not put a tray under the pot. Roses like water but do not like having soggy soil at their roots. The tray will hold water in the pot and the roots will rot. Most house plants in general are killed with over watering. I know this from much personal experience, lol!

As for separating them, I don't anymore. I tried this several times and killed many a rose in doing so. If you want to try I'd suggest you wait until spring when conditions will be better for them to recuperate and grow outside and be VERY careful when separating the roots. The tiny white feeder roots are very fragile but very important.

• ashbee56
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seil - Thanks! I've been lightly spritzing the leaves a couple times a day to keep the humidity up. I'll try leaving a dish by them as well. I've only been watering it every other day so I don't think I'm over watering it. I have a tendency to over water so I've been keeping close track of myself so I don't do that with these =P

A few of the leaves have started to yellow. I'm assuming this is probably because the plant isn't getting enough light. I think I'm going to move my lamp over to the window that I have the roses at so they can get extra light during the day.

I really hope they survive but I'm worried that they won't, since this is my first time dealing with any kind of roses. I'm hoping that in a couple of months I will be able to separate them into their own pots (4 plants are an a single 6 inch pot, way too crowded) so they can grow and be healthier.

I'm in an apartment but I have a balcony that I can put them out on once the threat of frost is gone. My balcony faces the west. Is this okay for roses? Will they get enough direct sunlight?

• Saurabh Singh
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Place them under a fluorescent lamp if you cannot place them outside, the duration should be around 7-8 hours. (thats the ideal light roses need daily to grow good) Also if you are keeping them inside make sure you are maintaining the humidity coz thats what roses need to grow their best.

Nature has an Adapting trait, hence once the Roses adapt to the grow lights or indoors, don't put them outside straight away, you'll need to keep the roses outside for a limited time and then in shade, so that they don't suffer drastic climatic changes.

I would never separate them..never ! they seldom die if you try to separate them.

• ashbee56
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well now that spring is upon us, I can confidently say that I kept both my potted mini roses alive all winter ^.^ One of them has yellowing leaves but I think it's because there are technically 4 plants in one pot and they are getting root bound. I plan on separating them out once it gets warmer outside so I can separate them and then leave them outside. I had them by my big doorwall (sliding glass door) all winter which faces the east. I wish I had a better window for them to get more sun but they did well.

I do have to say, they both "died and revived" themselves at one point. It seemed to be about a month after I got each of them. I forgot to water them so their soil got a bit dry and almost all the leaves fell off. I thought I had killed them! But then as soon as I started watering them again, they came right back!

I'm so glad I saved these. They will really brighten up my porch!

• Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
    9 years ago

I think you'll enjoy them and the roses will really enjoy being outside.

Sponsored