Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patches_gw

Growing Roses on a Balcony

Patches
15 years ago

Seasons Greetings Gardening Friends!

I do my gardening on a 8'4" sq. balcony utilizing the walls as well! I have spent so much time enjoying the photos posted here and on other sites of roses that I've decided I'd like to try miniatures on my balcony -maybe just one to start, a climbing and scented rose. Not having grown roses before I thought I'd ask if anyone else out there has experience with growing climbing roses on a balcony? Any suggestions or advice is very welcome!

(P.S.: Apologies in advance if this is a double-post. I thought I'd posted this one earlier but when I viewed the forum it was not there so if here it is (again?)

Comments (8)

• rosesnpots
    15 years ago

patches

Hi, I do not grow roses on a balcony but I do grow the majority of my roses in containers, but there is really no difference. You need to remember roses need sun but since you already do gardening on your balcony, you must already get great sun. Growing roses is really not hard. The main thing to remember is to pick the right roses for your zone. For the roses to really have room to grow you should use pretty good size and deep containers.

There have been posts on the regular and antique rose forum from people who do grow on balconies so you may want to search there for more information.

Good Luck

• Patches
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for replying! Much appreciated and I will have a look at the regular and antique roses forums. I think I'll just do one pot this year to see how it goes! Happy New Year!

• rosesnpots
    15 years ago

Patches

Happy New Year to you as well. I am glad I could be of some help. One other thing I would like to add is to make sure the rose you buy will be good to grow in a container. Many of the good online nurseries have searches for "good for a pot" Remember some minis do get quite large.
    I have ordered roses from Ashdown Roses and Rogue Valley Roses with great success. But if you are looking for a mini, may I suggest Nor'East Minis, they have a great inventory of the Ralph Moore minis which are outstanding.

• Patches
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello again! I had a look at Nor'East and it looks as if they only ship within the USA and I'm in Canada. But I then started to look for more information on Ralph Moore minis if or where they may be available in Ontario. I got sidetracked reading about Ralph moore, the MAN! Just a bit of information I came across: Ralph Moore celebrated his 101st birth onJanuary 14, 2008! http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1059/
    Here's a quote from him of 2008:"[My favorite rose is] the one I haven't made yet because it's perfect."

• rosesnpots
    15 years ago

Patches

There are some U.S. growers who do ship to Canada, but the shipping may be high. Reading on the forum, the one nursery that the other people from Canada buy from and seem to be happy with is Palatine Roses (www.palatineroses.com). If you search on the word miniature you will find they do have a few including Ralph Moore and Bridges. Just a suggestion, you may want to start there.

• Patches
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good morning rosesnpots: I've been doing a search and found some good information on the Palatine Roses and they do indeed ship to Canada so if I can't find what I want locally then that's the way I'll go. I'm guessing it won't be until March until we see roses in the nurseries.

• rosesnpots
    15 years ago

That sound about right as to when one will start to see roses at the local garden centers. The beauty about ordering directly from the nurseries is you usually have a larger choice of roses. But in your case I would recommend to see if you can find what you want locally and if not then do a mail or online order.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

Palatine Roses is located in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada. Another Canadian nursery that carries miniatures is Hortico (Waterdown, Ontario), and they list several of Ralph Moore's varieties.

Sponsored