Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcysgirl

new to miniature roses

mcysgirl
17 years ago

First thing I have to say is that my grandparents have all ways had miniature roses, and I've all ways loved them. They've had little red ones, white, and a red/white mixture. My boyfriend got me two miniature roses, a orange/red and a red.

Now, the orange/red seem to be doing ok, but its drinking a lot of water. And the red one well.. a few of its flowers are starting to wilt. Its been getting plenty of water, I know that. I check it everyday; i pick them up to see how heavy they are. If the soil is still moist I hold off until the next day, but if its light and the soils dry I go ahead and water them. I have them right next to a window, with the window open so as not to fry them. Its fairly warm here, about high 60's low 70's.

I just don't know why the red one is wilting. I think I'm doing every right... but maybe I'm missing some thing. Seeing as i'm new to this could some one give me a few pointers?

thanks all.

Comments (6)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

You don't tell us where you live (general area, such as SE Pennsylvania), that would really help.

Are they inside or outside? Roses really prefer to be planted outside. They would probably do well to be repotted, and don't let them completely dry out. Spider mites are the other problem with trying to keep roses indoors.

Here are some threads that might help. How to save a potted gift rose
    growing minis inside

• mcysgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

oops sorry... lol... I'm in central texas, and yes they are inside. And also they are parade roses.. they seem to have a bad rep for doing inside with out a planting light. hrm, oh well. Outside they'll go!! lol..

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    17 years ago

Put them outdoors in pots. That way you can move them to some shade when it gets too hot. Roses need a lot of water so don't be surprized that you have to water everyday. Where I live I do too. Miniroses don't do too good indoors. First they will get spidermites. Second they cannot get enough light. Make sure you check the roots to see if they get too big for the pot.

• mandi_s1
    17 years ago

I'm in Austin, and the drop in temp lately is kind of severe. I've got a parade mini indoors, in a pot until it gets a little warmer.

I've accepted that the leaves are going to have poor color until I can get it outdoors. I have it in my office window, and it gets about 8hrs a day sun and is growing new leaves and getting pretty big.

From what I've read, they wont bloom indoors, but get this ::brag:: my indoor parade, under natural light has two buds on it. They're not supposed to do that for the most part.

I water it lightly, and give it 'leaf checks' anything loose, overly yellow, or unusual looking gets plucked off.

I'm just trying to baby it through till late febuary, when I can move it into the garden without loosing it to an overly cold night, since most of it's growth is still new, and pretty delicate.

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Mandi I saw your rose in your cat photo, it looks pretty healthy and must like it in the spot you have it in. Besides the mites I think it's the heat in the house that makes it hard to grow indoors and the lighting, supposition only since I can't grow roses well in pots period. But again, I saw the light in your photo and your rose bush certainly looked good, more power to you:) I think that's great you've got it to bloom also. Leslie

• mandi_s1
    17 years ago

It's going outside as soon as the temp gets in the right neighborhood. it's a high maintainance baby for sure, but I saw all the should nots, and it just made me want to so much more. lol.

Unfortunately I had a dummy moment and overwatered it the other day, so we just lost a few leaves. Hopefully it will bounce back quickly. The buds are getting almost big enough to get a picture of, so I'm waiting impatiently. It's been so long since it's bloomed, that I forget what color it is!

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County