Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lbuzzell_gw

Minis with old rose look and fragrance?

lbuzzell
11 years ago

I've been hanging out in the Antique Roses forum but recently rescued 15 minis from a public garden that no longer wanted them, so I'm getting interested.
Are there minis with the old rose look and fragrance I love? Sort of like David Austin creating "reproduction" old roses?

Comments (12)

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

There are several that have that fuller look. Your best bet is to research them at Help Me Find Roses. And check out some on line nurseries that carry a variety of minis. I know Heirloom Roses has a lot but there are others too.

• lbuzzell
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Seil. I think I'll also check out some of Ralph Moore's "Crested Moss" roses.

• bobbyb123
    11 years ago

Hello ibuzzell, another very good source of mini roses is from Burlington rose nursery.In fact, Burling Leong the owner worked directly with Ralph Moore for many years before his death. I believe she still has many of Ralph Moore's creations. she would probably be your best source. there is no working website but I provided a link to contact her, also she is a very nice person that will treat you right. Bob

http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=17.18773

• danty
    11 years ago

I grow several "smaller" roses that fit the profile you are asking about.
    Check the attached link.

In addition, I propagate all of the roses I grow to share with others.
    Please let me know if you want more information.

Danty

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket album

• lbuzzell
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Bob. I've met Burling and she's terrific! And thanks to Danty for those lovely pictures. I fell in love with Lavender Crystal and will try to track that one down :-)

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    11 years ago

I'm trying the mini-flora Moonlight Scentsation next summer (ordered from from Heirloom, Two Sisters may also have had it). I sought this rose after my mom's garden club heard a talk by the hybridizer (formerly of Nor'East I think?) Mom was intrigued by her critique of many modern roses, particularly their lack of fragrance. Photos I've seen show more of an old rose blossom form which seems uncommon in minis. I also noticed a Red Scentsation, sadly already sold out.

Di

• bobbyb123
    11 years ago

Hi ibuzzell, a nice mini that you may like is julie link. It is a Ralph Moore rose. it is orange and has that old fashion ruffly look. i purchased this rose last year from burlington nursery band size. it is suppose to have fragrance but i dont detect any, but it is still young. will see what spring brings. Also, it is disease resistant in my no spray garden. bob

• User
    11 years ago

Re 'Red Scentsation': I never met a miniature that was as fast and eager to go completely mildewy as that one was. YMMV, of course.....

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    11 years ago

Sweet Chariot---both fragrant & OGR-looking.

• lbuzzell
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the great suggestions and lovely photo!
    Linda

• hardyyeh
    11 years ago

Sazanami is a mini rose from Japan. The blooms look very much like Souvenir de la Malmaison. According to HMF it is scented but I can't detect any on my plant. Foliage and habit is similar to Cinderella, but Sazanami is bigger, about twice the plant size of Cinderella.

Unfortunately, like SDLM, it has serious issues with balling and rain damage.

• roseblush1
    11 years ago

Heritage Roses carries a few of the Dee Bennett roses, that have an old fashioned look, but I have been told the roses they send in their bands are quite small, so I am not saying anything positive or negative about the nursery because most minis selected for commercial distribution do start well from small cuttings.

You might want to look at

Old Fashioned Girl
    http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.4536&tab=1

Rowdy Roy - from Two Sisters

Not old fashioned form, but a wonderful single - Burling has this one
    Grace Seward
    http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.3079.0

Most of the others have already disappeared.

Smiles,
    Lyn

Sponsored