Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northtexasdude

Bees Knees

northtexasdude
16 years ago

I planted a bees knees earler this spring, and 3 weeks ago it decided to give me its first bloom (perhaps in fear of the shovel). It gave me a beautiful single bloom, that has remained unchanged... FOR 3 WEEKS. Is this commong for bees knees? My other rose bushes never last more than a couple of days. This single bloom has weathered 40 degree nights and is still going strong. I cant wait to see what it does next year!!

So is this common or a rarity? Will it continue to bloom in zone 8 winter???? Thanks!!!

Comments (9)

• mike_in_new_orleans
    16 years ago

Hmmm, I don't know about 3 weeks, but mine lasts pretty well. I've got one out there now that has stayed near exhibition stage for the past 3 or 4 days. Mine took a long time to grow up as a plant, too. Mine's now in it's third year and about 30" tall, good bushiness but not quite as wide as tall. This rose is my "miniature Peace" rose, since I no longer have that particular sentimental favorite. I always think of Peace as the rose I first noticed that helped entice me into growing roses as a kid. Peace is just a bit too vigorous to be happy in my "pot garden" though, so I haven't tried to grow it in several years. Bees Knees does a pretty darn good imitation of the bloom in miniature. Now in its third year, I'd say the bloom production is finally respectable and reliable.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    16 years ago

I love Bees Knees and it's a keeper. However, mine does get some blackspot even though I spray fungicide preventively. Does anyone else experience this?

• dstartz
    16 years ago

Yikes! Blackspot? I was going to order it tomorrow, but now I'm not so sure I want to...

The other varieties I'm ordering is

GLOWING AMBER
    SWEET CHARIOT
    PINSTRIPE
    PATRIOT
    HAPPY THOUGHTS
    HOT TAMALE
    TATTOOED LADY

Any feedback on any of those varieties?

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    16 years ago

I got Hot Tamale last year, so it's establishing. But I love my Bees Knees!

• mike_in_new_orleans
    16 years ago

Dstartz, Bees Knees can blackspot, but so can most roses. I don't think of it as particularly prone compared to most modern roses. Are you a West Coast zone 9a grower or Gulf Coast or what. I wouldn't expect southern California to have any problem with blackspot. Here its a big challenge, but a regular biweekly spray program with Banner Max or Bayer Advanced Disease Control really does work to keep the worst away. Just a $10 pump sprayer, and I'm set for my 3 dozen roses.

By the way, my Pinstripe rose is more prone to blackspot than Bees Knees. Still, it's been clean for months thanks to Bayer spray. It's relatively low toxic, too. I don't mess with Ortho funginox/Rose Pride any more. That's one of the more toxic sprays.

• hardin
    16 years ago

Ok, call me dumb. What are Bee Knees?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Bees Knees is the variety name of a miniature rose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bees Knees info atr Helpmefind.com

• kathy9norcal
    16 years ago

I am in California and my Bees Knees gets no blackspot. I won't keep a mini that gets BS, as my climate usually prevents it. Bees Knees is a wonderful mini.
    Hot Tamale is very nice, too. Cut it and put in tiny vases, as it smells really nice.
    Sweet Chariot gets really wide and big in my yard. It is pretty, but I don't like how some of the blooms get ugly while others are still opening. Impossible to deadhead them without losing new buds. Well, it does both me.

Kathy

• hardin
    16 years ago

I think I just fell in love with Bees Knees. Gorgeous. Thanks.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio