Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange Bi-colored Hybrid Tea with LOTS of thorns

Posted by Resolute_Noir 11 (Philippines/trop (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 8:43

Here's the flower. I haven't counted the petals yet. It has a very faint tea fragrance, and that's all I've gathered so far.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange Bi-colored Hybrid Tea with LOTS of thorns

Here's an exhaustive collection of photos of the buds from closed to about to open. Note that the dark red streaks and edges on the buds. These turn into pink as the blooms open.

o

Foliage and prickles. The prickles are hard and tough to remove and are mostly reddish but I've seen lighter green ones. The leaves have reddish stipules and are dark green. The bluish colors are just powder that came with the rose. Leaflets are often in sets of 5.

This post was edited by Resolute_Noir on Thu, Jan 9, 14 at 5:02

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 18:32

This looks a lot like my floribunda Mardi Gras, Zary, 2007.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mardi Gras

o

You're right Seil, it really looks quite like Mardi Gras. Even the thorns! I dunno if this plant is a floribunda though. All four blooms I've seen on it so far are on differrent stems.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 19:49

There is a hybrid tea called Mardi Gras but it is dark red. The orange one is the more recently introduced one by Keith Zary and is classed as a floribunda regardless of how it grows. It's up to the breeder to decide what class a rose is when he introduces it. There are many HTs that some people think should be floribundas and many floribundas that could have been classed as HTs. It doesn't matter. What the breeder says goes!

o

Well then it must be Mardi Gras. Thanks for the I.D. Seil. :D

o

I thought Mardi Gras as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here