Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name of rose outside church at Reuil-Malmaison

Posted by hawkeye_20_20 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 7, 09 at 14:12

During a visit to Malmaison in June 2001, I photographed a beautiful rose outside the church in Reuil-Malmaison. I have been search for its name as I want to include the image in 'Josephine's Eden', a book about Empress Josephine and roses.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Name of the Rose

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name of rose outside church at Reuil-Malmaison

Beautiful photo. It looks familiar, somehow, and I'd guess it is a modern variety but I can't put a name to it.

I think your best bet is to contact the church and see if someone there knows which variety was planted outside.

o

I don't know the name of your rose but I wish I did. It's exquisite!

o

Can you tell more about the height of the rose - was it fragrant?

o
RE: Name of rose outside church at Rueil-Malmaison

These eye-catching blooms were growing rose trees about three feet above the ground on either side of the path into the church at Rueil-Malmaison. Its fragrance will remain a mystery until I discover its name.

o

Well, Hawkeye, the rose in your photo reminds me a lot of a cultivar I grow, called Andr le Ntre. It's a hybrid tea by Meilland and is marketed as Betty White in the US. The only thing that gives me pause is that you saw this rose in June 2001, presumably well established, and it seems Meilland introduced this variety in France in the same year, 2001. However, it is extremely vigorous in the French climate, so it is possible. Here in SW France it has grown to over 6 feet high in 3 years.

The photos on Help Me Find are fairly representative, as the blooms sometimes have a touch of apricot blush in the middle, while more often the petals are of the finest clear pink, fading to cream. The roses on my plant are very large, luminous and, best of all, exude the sweetest, strongest fragrance of any of my roses, at all times! I found a couple of my photos, you be the judge. And good luck with the book, sounds enchanting.

MayBee

o

• Posted by roselvr Burlington Coun (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 23, 09 at 9:19

Do you have more photos?
Have you tried posting to the antique rose forum?

It looks familiar, somehow, and I'd guess it is a modern variety but I can't put a name to it.

Our Lady of Guadelupe maybe? That's what it reminds me of.

o
Church name

• Posted by roselvr Burlington Coun (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 23, 09 at 9:20

The other question I forgot..
do you know the name of the church?

o
Name of rose outside church at Rueil-Malmaison

The church in Rueil Malmaison is Eglise St Pierre St Paul.
At the moment, I am inclined to identify this beautiful rose as 'Johann Strauss', introduced in 1994 by Meilland, because 'Andr le Ntre' was introduced in 2001.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here