Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsd2682

IDing some Austins for me

SoFL Rose z10
9 years ago

Hi All,
I purchased a few of these Austin's from Cool Roses in South Florida and they did not have tags. I was told they were possibly Abe Darby (the apricot one) and Happy Child (the light yellow one) and no ideas on the pink one. But I find that my " abe darby" looks rather pale to what I've seen in photos of her.
{{gwi:2131096}}
It is always apricot in color never leaning to pink or having any kind of variety in color at all for that matter. It does have nice fragrance and the plant is a big one. She's about 8-10 ft tall. She's not what I would call a prolific bloomer, but the blooms are usually large 3-4in across and very fragrant peachy wine cooler type smell.

On the other hand, the one they say could be happy child does not look like happy child to me either. This one they say on Austin's web site, has the deepest yellow of all ausitns. Mine is barely yellow, and fades to white. It also has light yellow leaves and happy child supposedly has deep glossy leaves (not even close to what i have). She is also lightly fragrant with fruity tones and does pretty well in the vase. Also its growing on its own roots.
{{gwi:2131097}}
{{gwi:2131098}}

This last one, the pink one. I thought was maybe strawberry hill as her blooms are somewhat ruffled. It could also be Tamora, because they turned somewhat peachier in the cooler months. I have no Idea what this one is actually but supposedly she is an austin. She is grafted.
{{gwi:2131099}}
Both the yellow one and pink one are new from this past summer so they are small and I cannot comment yet on their habit. The "abe darby" one is two years old and very large. Not unusual for Austins here.
Any ideas?

Comments (2)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

That first one doesn't have enough color to be Abe. Take a look at Ambridge Rose instead.

The second one could be The Nun?

Oh boy, the third one could be a lot of things!

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Seil,
    I did consider Ambridge, but its supposed to be a low grower and mine is more than 8ft tall. Also mine has never been really cupped in form and Ambridge to me looks kind of cupped. I was thinking maybe evelyn? I've also been doing some research and my yellow one really looks an awful lot like Charlotte. Still can't say on the pink one. Austin has ALOT of pink roses. LOL

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone