Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lajim

Red/White Thorny rose ID

lajim
18 years ago

This rose bush came with the house (1994), planted next to the back wall facing SE. The previous owners (3 years) were not gardeners, planting only the kinds of plants kids give Mom for Mother's day. However, the previous owner to that was a gardener for the local power company. The yard is very small and has a two story building behind it(SE).

The blooms are red on the top surface and a reddish white on the bottom. The stamens and pistals are white and yellow with the very center (around the stamens) of the bloom being white. They are prone to bud in multiple sets with 3-4 four to six inch stems on each bloom. I can get blooms several times a year. The plant does not hip at all. What remains when the bloom fades is a whithered hypanthium and some stem dieback.

The leaves are oval with small serrations. The are wrinkled, not flat

Perhaps the most interesting feature of the plant is the thorns. The older stems are almost completely covered with thorns. The younger wood is about 50% covered with thorns in no discernible pattern. The rose has no scent and easily grows thick woody stalks.

Definitely not a hybrid tea! I'd appreciate any help in figuring out what this is. I can get some pictures, but it's complicated and may take me a day or two to get done.

Comments (3)