Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linjon54

Rose Identification

linjon zone 5
10 years ago

I would like to know whether anyone can identify this rose bush. It is a climber that my mother in law who was 83 when she passed away. She moved here in 1990. She moved it here from her old home but I do not know how long she had it before she moved here or where she got it.

Comments (9)

• linjon zone 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another photo of the rose.

• linjon zone 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This photo shows the buds of the rose.

This post was edited by linjon on Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 23:42

• linjon zone 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This Rose only blooms once a year in the spring. It has a slight fragrance.

• linjon zone 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I found out what my rose is. Someone on the antique rose forum was able to id it. It is a Dr. Huey.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Yep, that would've been my guess. It's the most commonly used rootstock for grafted roses. She probably had a rose that the graft died and good ol' DR HUEY popped up afterwards. It really is a lovely rose when in full bloom. My neighbor had a grafted rose planted near her fence. Her husband mowed over it and killed the grafted part. A few months later the rootstock grew, and the following yr it was a massive monster along her fence and blooming those beautiful deep burgundy blooms. Too bad it doesn't repeat bloom.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Frequently asked about, due to prevalence as rootstock sprouts that have succeeded failed scions - as mentioned.

• lelamsk
    9 years ago

Unfortunately I just spent the last year rescuing some roses in my garden that were not doing so well. I have both grafted and own root roses. One of them just gave me a bloom and guess what, it was Dr. Huey. I only have several red climbers and it did not look like any of them, but I have also been surprised in saving a Soaring Flight, which "Heirloom Roses" may not be carrying it anymore.. I have one that is beautiful and covers half of a side of my house.. so very happy to get it.. Maybe I will plant the Dr Huey across our lane where hardly anything grows.

I still have several more unidentified that are doing well in the little rose clinic that should be blooming soon.

• lelamsk
    9 years ago

Unfortunately I just spent the last year rescuing some roses in my garden that were not doing so well. I have both grafted and own root roses. One of them just gave me a bloom and guess what, it was Dr. Huey. I only have several red climbers and it did not look like any of them, but I have also been surprised in saving a Soaring Flight, which "Heirloom Roses" may not be carrying it anymore.. I have one that is beautiful and covers half of a side of my house.. so very happy to get it.. Maybe I will plant the Dr Huey across our lane where hardly anything grows.

I still have several more unidentified that are doing well in the little rose clinic that should be blooming soon.

{{!gwi}}

• thelarkascending
    9 years ago

Definitely a Dr. Huey. We live in an old neighborhood, and they grow almost wild around here. They were and still are very commonly used as root stock. I'm just always sad thinking I'm missing the beautiful rose that used to live there. So I'm glad they're really pretty too.

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County