Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose Identification

Posted by linjon 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 23:19

I would like to know whether anyone can identify this rose bush. It is a climber that my mother in law who was 83 when she passed away. She moved here in 1990. She moved it here from her old home but I do not know how long she had it before she moved here or where she got it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose Identification

Here is another photo of the rose.

o

This photo shows the buds of the rose.

This post was edited by linjon on Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 23:42

o

This Rose only blooms once a year in the spring. It has a slight fragrance.

o

I think I found out what my rose is. Someone on the antique rose forum was able to id it. It is a Dr. Huey.

o

• Posted by beth NorCA 9 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 1:19

Yep, that would've been my guess. It's the most commonly used rootstock for grafted roses. She probably had a rose that the graft died and good ol' DR HUEY popped up afterwards. It really is a lovely rose when in full bloom. My neighbor had a grafted rose planted near her fence. Her husband mowed over it and killed the grafted part. A few months later the rootstock grew, and the following yr it was a massive monster along her fence and blooming those beautiful deep burgundy blooms. Too bad it doesn't repeat bloom.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 11:05

Frequently asked about, due to prevalence as rootstock sprouts that have succeeded failed scions - as mentioned.

o

Unfortunately I just spent the last year rescuing some roses in my garden that were not doing so well. I have both grafted and own root roses. One of them just gave me a bloom and guess what, it was Dr. Huey. I only have several red climbers and it did not look like any of them, but I have also been surprised in saving a Soaring Flight, which "Heirloom Roses" may not be carrying it anymore.. I have one that is beautiful and covers half of a side of my house.. so very happy to get it.. Maybe I will plant the Dr Huey across our lane where hardly anything grows.

I still have several more unidentified that are doing well in the little rose clinic that should be blooming soon.

o

Unfortunately I just spent the last year rescuing some roses in my garden that were not doing so well. I have both grafted and own root roses. One of them just gave me a bloom and guess what, it was Dr. Huey. I only have several red climbers and it did not look like any of them, but I have also been surprised in saving a Soaring Flight, which "Heirloom Roses" may not be carrying it anymore.. I have one that is beautiful and covers half of a side of my house.. so very happy to get it.. Maybe I will plant the Dr Huey across our lane where hardly anything grows.

I still have several more unidentified that are doing well in the little rose clinic that should be blooming soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here