Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronn_bonites

Any ideas as to what rose this maybe?

Ronn Bonites
11 years ago

Just bought this one from our local seedling bank last Friday. I forgot to ask the florist about it except its needs so I don't have much of a clue as to what it is. All I know is that it's a hybrid tea by the looks of it.

Comments (25)

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A more zoomed out view of the plant.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Close-up of one of the buds.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another close-up of a recent bud.

I'll post more updates once the buds fully open.

This post was edited by Resolute_Noir on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 9:10

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Yes, I agree that's a HT. It's hard enough to ID them when they're in bloom, though. Would you start a new thread when it has some opened blooms?

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yep. Planning to do just that. Two of the buds are about to open. Maybe they'll fully open by around next week?

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, so this may not be an update on my Hybrid Tea but I want to know what kind of Miniature it is. I think it's a Penny Candy but I'm not sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Penny Candy

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Your HT looks like it could be Oklahoma from the buds but that's a wild guess without seeing an actual bloom.

I don't know about the mini. Yours doesn't seem to have enough of the red edging to be Penny Candy.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't think it can be Oklahoma since it apparently has a sweet fragrance and doesn't do well in warmer climates. My HT has no fragrance and I'm growing them in the tropics and they're doing quite well too. So it's probably not Oklahoma, but thanks anyway. :)

My HT's buds are at least 1/3 open now. I think they'll open by around Tuesday or Wednesday this week.

As for my mini, I don't think it's Penny Candy either, I think it resembles Apricot Midinette more.

This post was edited by Resolute_Noir on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 18:38

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a picture of my HT now. The contrast isn't too good on the flower because I took it with a different camera.

• intris
    11 years ago

I own an Oklahoma. It has an intense spicy fragrance, imo.
    But I don't think that's an Oklahoma.
    Could you take photos that aren't so highly contrasted? It's hard to id it from that last photo you sent.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a new one that isn't too contrasted or blurred.

This post was edited by Resolute_Noir on Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 0:30

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And a landscape view of the flower.

This post was edited by Resolute_Noir on Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 0:39

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Well it's not Oklahoma from those pictures! Wow! It sure is gorgeous!

Some red HTs that it could be: Veterans' Honor, Crimson Glory, Liebeszaube, Let Freedom Ring or Firefighter but there are so many other red HTs it's really hard to guess.

You need to take photos of the whole plant, new growth, leaves, canes and thorns too so you can compare them and see what looks closest.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The whole plant in comparison to my mini.

It has one tall cane in the middle.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The flower when it has fully opened.

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

With no fragrance, it could even be a florist rose, I suppose.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh one last detail, this rose is almost thorn-less. I've only seen one thorn on it from the time I bought it.

• kutekaos
    11 years ago

It almost looks like the Olympia Roses sold at the grocery store. You might look into that, but I'm not sure that is it.

• evilscott
    11 years ago

It's upright. Could be a Mister Lincoln.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My rose has no fragrance so it can't be Mister Lincoln or Olympia.
    Thanks anyway.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

It's not a mini for sure. You will either need to get it planted in the ground or get it a MUCH bigger pot. Give it some time to mature and see what it's growth habits are. Keep lots of records and photos as it's maturing. All that information will help in determining what rose it is.

The fact that it has no fragrance is a clue but there are a lot of HTs that don't have any fragrance at all. Most of the ones bred during the 50s, 60s and 70s had no fragrance because it wasn't a breeding priority. It's only more recently that breeders have been trying to put the scent back into roses.

Can you possibly go back to that vendor and ask them what it might be? They should know what plants they've grown and sold.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, I'm gonna do just that when I return to buy compost.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    11 years ago

RE: It almost looks like the Olympia Roses sold at the grocery store. You might look into that, but I'm not sure that is it.

I've checked all Olympia Roses, (and even a rose named "Olympia") and out of those, I think Ingrid Bergman resembles my rose the closest, at least in the none to mild fragrance department anyway. Still a bit skeptic on it though.

I'd wait a bit more and see how it grows. already got a new basal break in this one. I think it's the perfect opportunity to observe its growth.

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

I think they might mean Olympiad. It's a common rose sold at pretty much everywhere roses are sold. (Because it is a popular lovely rose, or course)
    It has no fragrance to my nose.

As for the thornless aspect. Give it a while to decide if it is really thornless. Some thorned roses can have periods (especially when young) when they don't have many thorns. If it grows into a full size plant and still has no thorns, then, well then it might be thornless.

Here is a link that might be useful: Olympiad at Helpmefind

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did check Olympiad before and most photos of it on HMF look very close to my rose. The only thing that made me not consider was that HMF listed it as having a mild tea fragrance.

However since you say that this rose does not have any fragrance to you and the fact that it is heat resistant (my rose is growing well in tropical zone 11), I am now convinced that my rose is indeed Olympiad.

Thank you for that comment on Olympiad's fragrance Lola!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations