Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinkiered

IDing a wild rose

pinkiered
18 years ago

We just moved into this new place. It sits on the very edge of town. Theres a long grave lane you have to walk down to get to where we live. On three sides of us, are huge fields and behind us is a horse farm. A very country setting.

Well, to check the mail, you have to walk or drive down the grave lane to the box where the mail is. I was walking last night and I noticed these really thick thicket growing over the fence from the edge of the lane towards the field in front of my house. The more I looked, theres ,I would say about 20 of these plants.

They caught my eye because they have thousands of these black balls on the tips of the stems. I pulled one off and opened it and theres about 40 to 50 seeds inside.

The stems coming out of the ground are so thick! If you place your palms together and hold your thumbs pad to pad, they are thicker than that. And covered in these wickly looking thorns. And it has the classic 5 leaves. They match my rose leaves. If they stood up straight they would be about 8 to 10 foot tall. They are all stright up from the ground for a good 5 foot then arch over towards the ground.

I have three climbing roses, I just bought a tea rose and of course my fav, my mini rose (the flower gets no bigger then your thumb!)

Im thinking a shurb rose but Ive never seen any kind of rose except for the tea, minis and climbing. How do I find out?

And are the seeds still good inside this late in the season?

Comments (4)